Clam questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr. Dai Phan

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all,

I bought a clam a few days ago (bluish in color) and I was advised to positioned it with the opening facing the light. I found out it was tough to do the clam always ended up turning on the side. Was that suggestion correct? Also this morning, I saw his foot moving outside the shell and was "wandering" around the sand for a few seconds before it tucked back in. Was he trying to find some food? I target feed him once a day with liquid plankton. Thanks for your expert replies. DP

I doubt a clam would eat with it's foot. Can you semi bury the bottom half of it in the sand? I imagine, he will be able to bury himself, assuming there is enough sand....

I have mine on some rocks. I dont target feed mine. Mine`s the size of a football.

They use that foot to anchor themselves to get secure. he was likely searching for something to grab onto and hold himself in place. My clams like to turn themselves around occassionally, I figure they'll find the place they like.

While a lot of people like to put clams on the sandbed, clams do prefer to be on a rock or something they can hold onto for security. I have mine in the sandbed, but I've placed some small rocks below them so they can hold on, and they seem to be happy.

Last edited:
I doubt a clam would eat with it's foot. Can you semi bury the bottom half of it in the sand? I imagine, he will be able to bury himself, assuming there is enough sand....

I have DSB so I am OK for that part. DP

They use that foot to anchor themselves to get secure. he was likely searching for something to grab onto and hold himself in place. My clams like to turn themselves around occassionally, I figure they'll find the place they like.

While a lot of people like to put clams on the sandbed, clams do prefer to be on a rock or something they can hold onto for security. I have mine in the sandbed, but I've placed some small rocks below them so they can hold on, and they seem to be happy.

OK, I will put him over the rocks now. Thanks DP

Back
Top Bottom