Clamped fins and flashing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mhaworth

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My red tailed shark has his fins clamped and is flashing quite a bit. His top fin is a bit roughed up but I assume that's from the flashing. There's about .5 ppm of ammonia in the tank right now. All of the other fish are fine and there's no sign of ich or velvet on any of them. Why is it only my rts doing this. Seems that I've had nothing but bad luck with keeping red tailed sharks. Please help.

My red tailed shark has his fins clamped and is flashing quite a bit. His top fin is a bit roughed up but I assume that's from the flashing. There's about .5 ppm of ammonia in the tank right now. All of the other fish are fine and there's no sign of ich or velvet on any of them. Why is it only my rts doing this. Seems that I've had nothing but bad luck with keeping red tailed sharks. Please help.

How big is your tank

Wow that's waaaaay to high for ammonia are you still cycling!!!??? I'd do a WC immediately

55 gallon tank. 3 tiger barbs and a German ram are in there with him.

Your ammonia is at a very stressful level. Do a 50% water change and add a tablespoon of aquarium salt per 5 gallons to help with the ammonia poisoning.

Well it's velvet. **** this is the second time in the last month I had to deal with this. All the fish are flashing and most have gold dust on their body now. This sucks.

Is there any way you can post a pic? I'm quite afraid my tank has velvet, but I don't want to treat incorrectly. What is the best treatment? Or....email is fine: princesskelly5978@gmail.com. Or pm me. Whenever you have time. I would really appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom