Classic Eheim or Pen Plaxx Cascade Canister???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cyberkat

Aquarium Advice Activist
Opinions please!!!! Classic Eheim or Pen Plaxx Cascade Canister???

I have always used HOB filters on my tanks and am considering a canister filter for a possible upgrade on my 40g breeder. I have narrowed down my choices to the Classic Eheim Canister and the Pen Plaxx Cascade Canister.
I have heard fantastic things about each of these canister filters and I have to admit I really like the idea of filter media baskets that the Cascade has.

So, if you have had either of these canister filters I would greatly appreciate your input with the following questions!!!!

How long have you had your canister filter? Any issues?

What is the one main thing you don't like about the canister filter you use?

What is the length of time it takes you to change out the filter media and how often do you do it?

Have you had any issues with leaking? Do you keep your canister inside some sort of shallow container to be on the safe side?

What do you do to save money on filer media cost?

:thanks:

cyberkat said:
I have always used HOB filters on my tanks and am considering a canister filter for a possible upgrade on my 40g breeder. I have narrowed down my choices to the Classic Eheim Canister and the Pen Plaxx Cascade Canister.
I have heard fantastic things about each of these canister filters and I have to admit I really like the idea of filter media baskets that the Cascade has.

So, if you have had either of these canister filters I would greatly appreciate your input with the following questions!!!!

How long have you had your canister filter? Any issues?

What is the one main thing you don't like about the canister filter you use?

What is the length of time it takes you to change out the filter media and how often do you do it?

Have you had any issues with leaking? Do you keep your canister inside some sort of shallow container to be on the safe side?

What do you do to save money on filer media cost?

:thanks:

Hi Cyberkat, I currently have the Eheim Classic 2217. I am very happy with this filter and have had no problems.

I have had my filter since the beginning of March if this year, so about 6 months. No issues great filtration runs on a 90 gal planted community tank.

Hmmm there really is nothing I don't like, I guess if I haaaad to pick sometimes it's a pain in the butt to scoop out the ceramic rings and bio balls but that is only because I am girlie and get my nails done and don't like how it can scuff them or I get crud under them ( I know ridiculous reason) LOL

It takes very little time to clean probably 20 minutes total until it is up and pumping again. I clean my filter every 2 to 3 months. It can be done monthly but on my case not necessary.

No leaking what so ever! It sits alone on my hardwood under my tank stand. It had not leaked any water at any time.

I do not run carbon and buy filter gloss in bulk and cut it to size .

Hope this has answered your questions and helps your decision making. It truly is a great filter it will not disappoint you.

Cheers :)

Dear Cyberkat,

I have 2 Cascade 1000's. One in a 45 gallon freshwater and one (with three HOB's) in my 125 gallon goldfish.

I have found them easy to use. After the very first priming (usually more than 3 pushes, but it's important to wait that minute before plugging in) it's a breeze to prime and restart.

With one I had flawed intake valve. They very promptly sent me a new one at no charge. (It was a bit like sending a message into a the black hole of cyberspace. They sent out the part after getting the e-mail, but didn't tell me they did until I sent a follow-up!)

Because of the hose disconnect and the handle it is very easy to clean without spills. The baskets and media--your choice to customize--are easy to rinse in a bucket of tank water.

I've had mine two years and would get them again.

Good luck!
Chris

I chose a Cascade 1000. Love it. Only issue, was one of the mesh bags of original charcoal was not sealed, and that is pretty much a non issue.

I picked it because it had very high ratings in reviews on Amazon.

SRC <><

Back
Top Bottom