Clean Glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pph_2ppr

Aquarium Advice Activist
The glass on my tank is covered with dust from my sand, looks like white-brown film. The whole back side looks like it is collecting the dust into strings of hairs. What is the best way to clean up this mess?

having same problem. i used a PH to blow off sum of it then just used my magfloat to get the rest off. i did that about 3 hours ago and seems fine,but if no1 else replys ill keep u posted how it works.

i kinda just brushed some of it off but then it lands all over the tank....everywhere

Sounds like it could be cyano and/or diatoms. I assume your tank is fairly new.? Using good source water, and limiting feedings will help control the algae and/or diatoms. Cutting your lights out for a couple days, and then running them on a decreased photoperiod is recommended. Using a chemical media like GAC, Rowaphos, etc should help also. Manual removal of the algae is about the only option. Doing a PWC after cleaning and running some mechanical filtration is a good idea to aid in removal. Be sure to clean any mechanical filtration every few days. HTH

Is this an aglae problem or a sand problem? If it is just sand then using a mag cleaner will work fine to get it off the glass. New tanks take a little time to settle in and get all the particulate matter out of the water column. If this is algae then Mike hit the nail on the head.

If its just diatoms then I just take my mag float and wipe them off. I have them on the glass every other day.

i think its from the sand my tank is new..not even cycled. i just got lights yesterday so thats not the cause... i think a mag cleaner would work great

i use ro/di water too

thanks

Back
Top Bottom