Clean up crew and load on tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

disman_ca

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey there (first post). I have a 30G reef tank with a blenny and recently added a matched tomato clown and bubble tip anemone (tank 2+ months old). I have 5 small snails and I do want to add more for algae control. So here is the question.

How much load does the CUC put on the tank? I was thinking to add a brittle star fish to clean up my substrate but I don't want to add to many things to clean the tank as I want to add more soft coral and maybe another colourful fish.

I've added some pictures for refernce

Attachments

• IMG_0225.jpg
    IMG_0225.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_0224.jpg
    IMG_0224.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_0211.jpg
    IMG_0211.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 199
Your CUC adds very little to the bio-load, however, with such a young tank, adding to many may lead them to starvation. A brittle star will most likely die in that small of a system with very little food to offer. What type of lights do you have?

A brittle starfish does not really do that much cleaning of your substrate. You are better off getting a sand sifting starfish. You can look at some green emerald crabs. They do a good job.

That's a really shallow sand bed...I'd avoid sand sifters, they'd have a hard time going under the substrate it seems.

Your CUC adds very little to the bio-load, however, with such a young tank, adding to many may lead them to starvation. A brittle star will most likely die in that small of a system with very little food to offer. What type of lights do you have?
T5 2 lights, Roseate and 6000K lamps

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not keen on the emerald crabs as I've ready mixed experiences with them eating other things. Ideally I have my I set on a starfish of some sort so maybe I should consider adding more substrate? Ideally I want to add more more to the crew but only if nessecarry. I'll be adding mostly soft corals like frog spawn and other typs of anemones and maybe 1 other colourful fish.

Stay away from sifting and brittle stars, they usually end up starving in aquaria. If you add more substrate, I do encourage you to grab some nassarius snails. They burrow under the sand and come up when they sense food, also a good way to keep your sand stirred up. Is this just a two bulb T5 fixture? If so, stay away from anemones, and I would say that you should take your BTA back.

Is this just a two bulb T5 fixture? If so, stay away from anemones, and I would say that you should take your BTA back.
Yes it is a 2 bulb fixture. May I ask why you suggest to return the BTA?

Yes it is a 2 bulb fixture. May I ask why you suggest to return the BTA?

You don't have enough light for the nem. :)

At least a 4 bulb should be used to keep it alive. You might also want to replace the bulbs you do have to get better light. I'd suggest a 10k or 12k bulb with and actinic.

Good luck

Thanks I'll check my bulbs again to make sure (I just read the box). The guy at the LPS did ask me what I planned to have in the tank when I bought the light. It also doesn't hurt to add my light anyway.

I checked at my shop and the light is actually 10,000K.

Back
Top Bottom