Cleaner Clams???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h8z2luze

Aquarium Advice Addict
Would it be ok to put some cleaner clams in with my puffer? It says they lower nitrates as they feed and I want to get some more life in there anyway. Could they close in time for protection? Or can the puffer eat trough the shell? Thanks in advance.

I'd be afraid of the puffer eating them, or the stress killing them. If they stay closed all the time for protection, then they won't do much cleaning. Do you have a sump? You could put them there.

what are you calling cleaner clams?? I have little neck clams in my fuge on my fowlr and Im not 100% sure if there helping or if its the macro or xenia but my nO3 is lower then before adding them.
I picked up 6 at the super market let them sit in some tank water for a few hours to make sure they were all alive and then I tossed them in.

They bury themselves so IMO I dont think the puffer would get them unless he saw the foot sticking out of the SB. Large puffers will crush the shell but IMO the small ones won't

Ya mine is still a baby. I dont know I was looking on saltwaterfish.com and it says cleaner clams. I am also going to add 5 hermits and 5 snails along with a wrasse. Will it hurt those?

when I had a DF puffer he never touched any snails or hermits. He was about 4" and he was too small to eat them or crush the shells.

That "cleaner clam" looks just like a little neck clam too me. next time your in the supermarket take a look at them.. They are 4.99 a dozen.

Sounds good. They are alive? I dont recall seeing any live clams in the store unless im a retard and they are all alive until you cook them I dunno I dont like them soooo....

Clams arn't fit to eat if they're not alive before you cook them. The ice keeps them in a mellow state, but a live clam will open it's shell as it's being cooked.

I have 6 in my fuge, had them about 6 months now. I hardly ever see them, what I do see is them blowing silt out of there foot/feeding tube which stick up through the sand. I dug one up this weekend and he quickly reburied himself. Do they help??
Little neck clams are found in waters all over the place, Here in NY the survive in freezing cold water in the winter and very warm water in the summer. In the shallow bays the water temp gets very warm. Same type of clam grows in Florida and all up and down the coast. So temp is not a issue with these guys IMO.

Seaham, I have no fuge. (Correction, I have a small hang-on-back with no sand) Would these supermarket clams be a problem in the main tanK? Do they really help in reducing nitrates?

I have no idea if they help reduce nitrate, all I know is they look just like the clams that SWF are selling as nitrate reducing clams. They are filter feeders and I have not researched what the can do for a tank. Have they hurt the tank, No.
Are they they the silver bullet for nitrate reduction, IMO No.
I am going to toss some in my fowlr main tank soon and I will try and monitor the nitrates better to see if adding more makes a difference.
If you do try them I would let them sit in some tank water in a bowl for at least 30 min to let them open up and get used to the water before dumping them in. It worked for me..

I bought some that I was going to use in my blender mush. I dropped a couple in the tank (6" dsb) and when I looked a while later they had buried themselves. This was the second time I tried that. One died and came to the surface and opened first. He made a tasty morsel for the the shrimp and snails. They are a lot cheaper that buying "cleaner clams" from an online store.

i had a couple clams before in my old saltwater tank they where hitchhikers stuck to lr

Back
Top Bottom