Cleaning a used tank and vacuum question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dazed04106

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all!

I purchased a used fish tank yesterday and have gotten some conflicting advice from the internet on how to best clean the tank. One site suggested just simply wiping down with warm water and paper towels would suffice. Another suggested scrubbing the tank using salt and an algae scrubber and then thoroughly rinsing. How do you guys typically prep a used tank before beginning the fishless cycling process?

My other question is the vacuuming/siphon for partial water changes to use during the fishless cycling. I found the Python no spill and fill system on Amazon but all the reviews I've read have talked about gravel. I intend on using a sand substrate and I don't know if this siphon system is going to get all mucked up with sand? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

For me cleaning depends on how dirty and with what the tank is dirty with. Salt may scratch it but doubtful you would see that once filled. If using salt get some with out iodine, it isn't good for the fish and while chances are low that it would get in to the water column why take that risk when plain salt is really cheap. I usually use vinegar because it's good at removing hard water deposits. It is also can sterilize it if left in the tank long enough and is totally safe for the fish and easily removed with a paper towel.

I use a python on my sand bottom tanks with no issues. It makes water changes sooo much easier!!!

My 75g used tank was really bad. I will not recommend you to clean your tank like I did mine. (But it does work) I used regular dawn dish soap (the blue kind) with alot of rinsing and sprayed it with the hose over and over til there was no more bubbles. Then hot water. Then table salt on a soft sponge. Razor blade for the hard spots. Lots of rinsing. Then dryer it in the hot sun for 2 days. Then another spray rinsing and another 2 days in the hot sun. Lol! People say not to use dish soap. But, dawn is different. And as long as you spray it down good a few times and bake it in the sun, I found it worked the way I did it. Back in the day, before I even thought to ask how to clean a tank they used table salt and sponge, or cloth. Then rinse it all out. If there's anything that is missed or just wouldn't come off, use a razor blade.

I use Dawn dish soap as well but Angel goes above and beyond what I normally do. Lol. I use hot water and Dawn soap with a new scrub pad then rinse the heck out of it and wipe it dry with a clean towel. I've heard so many stories on this topic and everyone I talked to had living fish in their tanks so go figure. I've even heard of guys bleaching tanks and just rinsing them out good afterwards and wiping them down. I've heard of guys just putting their tap water with chlorine in the tank and letting it sit in the sun for a couple days then rinsing it out good and wiping it down. The way I see it is if your cleaning a tank completely you will more than likely be doing a cycle on the tank for the next month or longer. Any possible residuals can be removed from the tank during a fish less cycle by PWC and filtration. My suggestion would be just good ole Dawn soap, hot water and a new scrub brush. Rinse the h*ll out of it and wipe it down good.

I use Dawn dish soap as well but Angel goes above and beyond what I normally do. Lol. I use hot water and Dawn soap with a new scrub pad then rinse the heck out of it and wipe it dry with a clean towel. I've heard so many stories on this topic and everyone I talked to had living fish in their tanks so go figure. I've even heard of guys bleaching tanks and just rinsing them out good afterwards and wiping them down. I've heard of guys just putting their tap water with chlorine in the tank and letting it sit in the sun for a couple days then rinsing it out good and wiping it down. The way I see it is if your cleaning a tank completely you will more than likely be doing a cycle on the tank for the next month or longer. Any possible residuals can be removed from the tank during a fish less cycle by PWC and filtration. My suggestion would be just good ole Dawn soap, hot water and a new scrub brush. Rinse the h*ll out of it and wipe it down good.
I got nervous when I had already washed it and got to reading about tank cleaning "DO NOT USE SOAP". So that's why I did everything I did. I was so scared it was in the silicone. And some recommend throwing the tank out. I said "What!!??" Not throwing a 75g tank away. So I agree, as long as you rinse it really good. I'd use dawn over bleach anyway.

Back
Top Bottom