Cleaning Gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dkmuller

Aquarium Advice Activist
OK what is the secret to a total good job vaccum the gravel. I try a first getting it to start the drain process seems to not happen. I have both types the one you squeeze to get going and the one you move up and down to start . But I get them going I only have a 5.5 gal. tank. The other issue is do I take the betta out and snail to get it cleaned good. I have one planted plant. But this might put trauma on the snail and might not come out of his shell for awhile. I do it with them in but I don't think it is very thorough . What do others do with their tanks?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Aquarium Advice mobile app

For that size tank(5.5g) I would use the squeeze type bulb to get it primed and flowing. A smaller sized gravel vac should be used; the flow will be lower than a larger one and will allow you time to clean a section of the gravel without draining too much from the tank. Also, I'd only clean a section with each weekly water change and rotate the sections to be vacuumed. IMO no need to vacuum all of the gravel in one sitting.

Thanks this is helpful information.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I just give the hose that goes into the bucket a quick suck to get it started...easy. I have the one you are meant to jiggle up and down, scares the crap out of my fish trying to get it started that way.

I have a 5.5 betta tank and I vacuum a small section of the gravel once a week. With only one fish (and a snail in your case) you don't build up a lot of fish waste so just doing small sections will be fine as long as you keep up with it. Also I leave the betta in while I vacuum.

I would estimate 90% of the waste comes from the snails (MTS) and 10% from the fish. I have a low fish population and a lot of snails in my tank.
I did go through a phase where I did not clean the gravel for over a year and a half! The tank was planted pretty heavily and there was less than 10% of the gravel that was not covered with plants. I did a recent massive re-do and gave it a good cleaning. I now have some real estate open at the front of the tank available for vacuuming.

Back
Top Bottom