Cleaning Mineral Deposits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfairy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does anyone know of anything I can use to clean off the water stains/mineral deposits from a used tank besides vinegar? I tried the vinegar and razor blade thing but it just will not come off. I think it is because I live near the mountains so we have a lot of limestone and stuff in our water. I don't want to use something that will damage the tank at all, but no matter what I use I will definitely rinse the tank out very well before setting it up.

wow, I have never met a deposit that vinegar and razor blade couldn't handle. I honestly dont know what to tell you other than let it soak. I put a papertowel on the spot, the soak the papetowel and let it sit.

First try filling the tank. I've found that many times deposits tend to dissapear when the tank is filled with water.

The next stronger chemical would be CLR, used to remove mineral deposits. Rinse with a hose out in the yard after using.

The strongest I have ever use is Sno-Bowl toilet bowl cleaner. This is concentrated acid, saftey gear is needed. Heavy rubber gloves, long sleeves, & saftey glasses are required. It will remove skin. Go easy near the seams with this, unless you plan on resealing. Needless to say, rinse like you've never rinsed before.

Well I soaked the vinegar like Hara said and it cleaned it about as much as it's going to clean it. When it's wet you can't really see the stains though so I think this will work. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom