Cleaning old tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlaseMrNiceguy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I just got a great deal on Craigslist. I got a 35 gallon tank and stand for $25, not bad I know. But this tanked used to house fish and has a ton of "scum" on the inside of the tank from being poorly maintained so my question is what's the best way to scrub this crud off?

1. Wash your hands thoroughly. You do not want to leave any artificial chemicals that you may have on your hands in the aquarium or you could kill the fish. Wash, rinse and dry your hands before starting to clean.

2. Make a paste with water and baking soda. Generally, you can wet 5 tablespoons of baking soda with 2 or 3 tablespoons of water to make the paste. Mix it with the clean rag or your fingers. Add the tablespoons of water one at a time so that you can stop when the mix has a pasty consistency.

3. Wipe the walls and bottom of the aquarium using the baking soda and water paste. Push the clean rag into every corner of the aquarium to remove every tiny bit of residue or dirt that may have accumulated while the aquarium was empty.

4. Wipe down the walls and bottom of the aquarium with a clean rag soaked in white vinegar. This will take care of any mineral stains on the aquarium. If you encounter a really tough stain, hold the vinegar soaked rag on top of the stain for about 45 seconds and it should lift off the stain.

5. Rinse out the aquarium. Use a final clean, wet rag to wipe all of the baking soda and vinegar out of the aquarium. If you like, you can even rinse the aquarium out using a hose.

6. You can use a razor blade to gently scrape the hardest stubborn areas.

This tank has a few scratches on it as well is there anything that can be done about those or are they there forever?

Unfortunately scratches on glass are permanent, but thankfully they tend to be hard to notice once water is in the tank. That's some very good cleaning advice you were given! I definitely second the razor blade idea.

Back
Top Bottom