Cleaning Sandbed Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JesseMessykinn

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so when I do my water Changes I use a solid tube about 6inches taller then my tank. Most of the time I can Get MOST of the poop up, but it seems I cant get all of it. So my Question is...

What sould I do about the Left over poop? It kinda makes the sand look "dirty". Is this going to be Harmful to my Fish/Inverts?

29G 2-3Inch sand bed. Lightly Planted ATM.

the waste left over from the fishes decompose and produce ammonia which eventually become nitrates if you have a cycled tank. if the nitrate levels build up too high, it can hurt the fish and especially the inverts. Plants use nitrates so if you have a ton of plants, they can take care of the negative effects of the waste.

Just an idea, but maybe you need a smaller grav vac to get everything sucked up. A tube 6in taller than the top of your tank sounds a bit big to thoroughly do the job in a tank this size. Something that can go below the water line would probably work better.

Ok so when I do my water Changes I use a solid tube about 6inches taller then my tank. Most of the time I can Get MOST of the poop up, but it seems I cant get all of it. So my Question is...

What sould I do about the Left over poop? It kinda makes the sand look "dirty". Is this going to be Harmful to my Fish/Inverts?

29G 2-3Inch sand bed. Lightly Planted ATM.

If the poop is in the area where the plants are, I leave them. It'll decomp into ammo which your plants can use as nutrients ... aside from nitrates.

Back
Top Bottom