Cleaning your tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matt04

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I cleaned out 10% of my water yesterday at 12:00est, cleaned the glass, and added 20% back, treated with Aquaplus, cycle, and waste control. Now I have one question, can I keep doing the same ammount of water change every day (to better clean my aquarium) without adding chemicals daily (adding them weekly). The tank has always been cleaned once a week with the first given procedure.

Hmmm. How long has this tank been up and running? Is it cycled?

I do a 10-20% water change once a week. The only chemical I add is a dechlorinator. I think it's called "AquaSafe".

I'm not sure what those other things you mentioned do. If you change your water that often (every day), then you'll probably be starving the bacteria that eat the ammonia in the tank. This will ultimately kill your bio-filter (assuming the tank has cycled).

If your not sure what I'm talking about, then you may want to read this short but informative article...

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=21

Also, are you planning on getting a bigger tank for those bala sharks someday? They are known to get pretty big. My lfs has several that are about 16 inches long.

The tank has been running for 6 months, so I'd say its cycled. My dechlorinator is called Aquaplus, I would add that every water change regardless. The tank is more dirty then I realised, not being able to clean certain areas because of rocks I entered into the habitat. The other chemicals I use are for waste and for bacteria. One to kill and one that enters bacteria.

If your tank is cycled, then you don't need to add "cycle". The bacteria have already colonised your tank.

The "waste control" stuff is the thing I'd like to know more about. If it removes ammonia, then your tank may not be cycled. You have to have a source of ammonia in your tank in order to keep the nitrogen cycle running. If you add something that removes ammonia, then the cycle breaks down as the bacteria that "eat" the ammonia die off from starvation.

When you do water changes, do you use a gravel vac? They're great for removing solid waste from the floor of the tank while changing water.

My dechlorinator is called Aquaplus, I would add that every water change regardless.
That's good. You should always do something that removes chlorine/chloramine from your tap water.

Something I didn't ask earlier is "What are your water parameters?" Specifically ammonia, nitrItes, and nitrAtes.

Ammonia is normal. I was told by lfs that nitrites and nitrates aren’t important! ARRR!

Yes I use a gravel vac to remove gravel waste to the portions stated earlier.

The waste control is a waste eliminator for rapid reduction of organic waste in aquariums. It cleans gravel, power filters, and interior aquarium surfaces. Waste control instantly activates to break down major aquarium pollutants. Reduces organic waste resulting from overfeeding, fish waste, leftover food and by-products of other decaying material. Waste control performs rapidly and efficiently to solubilize solid wastes. During this process, ammonia levels may peak. The simultaneous use of Nutrafin Cycle Biological Filter Supplement will help control ammonia and nitrite peaks, and maintain optimum water conditions. For fresh and salt water use.

Cycle releases massive amounts of beneficial bacteria into the aquarium; each does works to reduce dangerous ammonia and nitrite level in the aquarium. This helps prevent fish loss. Cycle is an all-natural product.

Well I have used cycle, and found it it worthless. IT may work for you, but I have never had luck with it. If your tank is cycled I would stop using it. Ammonia is normal? You mean 0ppm? Personally I think anything over that is bad bad bad in a cycled tank. Nitrates I usually let get to around 40 ppm in my tanks, as I heavily plant them, and it does take a while to get that high because of the plants. As for nitrites since the cycle I never register any when I test for them. Myself, I would just do a weekly water change/gravel vac to get the solid debris out of your tank. I go by the less chemicals I add the better off my tank is. Of course I am not counting in the dechlorinator or fertz I put in for the tank, but you get my drift. I would honestly say that I personally think you are wasting your money with the cycle and the waste control chemical. Just do weekly or even twice weekly 10 to 20% water changes and gravel vacs and you should be fine. And I do agree on getting a much larger tank for the balas, they do get large.

I like your advice with the chemicals, so there out. Twice a week is the limit on the times to clean the glass, vacum the gravel, and add the dechloranized water?

I should get myself a nitrite and nitrate test kit then, any ideas?

I wouldnt say it was the limit, but I wouldnt do it anymore than that unless I started having ammonia levels or high nitrite levels. As for test kits I use the aquarium pharmacuticals test kits myself, but lot of people use red sea and lamotte test kits.

Back
Top Bottom