clear water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coalcut

Aquarium Advice Activist
hi all,

This is my first of many post.
Well after a 20 year break I've returned to the aquarium hobby. A few weeks ago I desided to add a UV Sterilizers to my 55gal corner tank. All I can say is OMG.......my tank has the clearest water I've ever seen. I heard that the UV Sterilizers world get rid of free floating algae,etc, but I did't know the water would be sooo clear. Wow!!!

if it's already on the glass then no, but it does prevent new free floating algae from forming on the glass.

UV sterilizers may kill bad bacteria but it also kills the good. I wouldn't use one unless I had an outbreak.

In an established, cycled tank...there really is no danger with UV sterilizers. The beneficial nitrifying bacteria is a surface adherer...and is generally not found in the water column. If the tank is initially establishing the nitrogen cycle...there's potential for damage to the bacteria during phases like a bacterial bloom...but once they're established in the filter media, substrate and bio-film...virtually none of the beneficial bacteria will contact the UV light and it shouldn't be a concern.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=16+2148&aid=2855

I've noticed some sort of particles in my 29 gallon also. I can't really tell if it's tiny air bubbles or debree. I have a 5 inch air stone, maybe it's air bubbles. It looks clear unless you get really close.

Back
Top Bottom