Clearing the water is impossible!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
My Moms tank is perpetually cloudy! I CANNOT get it clear! The tank is by a window but I wouldnt think it would cause this many issues! It is a greenish cloudy. I am leaving the lights off until saturday to see if it helps but does anybody have any other ideas?!

Is it in direct sun light? If it is the excess light from the sun and your light being on will cause algae problems

It gets alil direct sulight in morning and evening but we close the blinds so it is a miniscule amount!

57 gallon column with aqueons biggest filter. 6 full adult and some juvie platies, 2 full adult and some juvie mollies, 6 glofish, 1 oto, and 1 bristlenose pleco. No test kit but water params are good. No distress fish or anything.

Greenish cloudy almost always means algae bloom. Won't hurt the fish, but does probably come from the sunlight. Do you have any plants in there? Some fast growing plants might act as a nutrient sink to out-compete the algae bloom after a few water changes to get the algae out of the water column. Also, I read recently--and am trying out now--that rooibos tea will help get rid of algae (and helps with fish health and kills any fungus! Home remedies FTW *lol*).

KaylNeko said:
Greenish cloudy almost always means algae bloom. Won't hurt the fish, but does probably come from the sunlight. Do you have any plants in there? Some fast growing plants might act as a nutrient sink to out-compete the algae bloom after a few water changes to get the algae out of the water column. Also, I read recently--and am trying out now--that rooibos tea will help get rid of algae (and helps with fish health and kills any fungus! Home remedies FTW *lol*).

Do you have any links you could share about the tea?

Sure. ^_^

This one talks a lot about the benefits to people, but talks about their experiment with algae and dosing instructions.

This one gives some more info and examples.

More dosing and discussion.

There are a few more, but that contains most of what I read through that convinced me that for two bucks a box, it was worth a shot :lol: I've had it in the isolation tank for the corys being treated for ich for three days--the tea bag's been hanging since Sunday evening, and I dosed almost 10 ml (double dose recommended as necessary) in the ten gallon tank last night since it's been in there long enough that not as much is left. Treating for ich (Kordon herbal treatment) and they have what I'm hoping is just stress related fin rot...by yesterday, they were swimming more, even though they've hit that "worse before it gets better" part of the cycle with more ich spots than I've seen previously. They seem happier...or at least more active...so it's doing something. It hasn't been in the 55 gallon long enough to determine if it's helpful against diatoms or not.

Thank you for the information! I'll have to read it. So it prevents the algae blooms, but doesn't effect your BB right?

very interesting and I hope it helps with the algae problem. If the op uses this treatment I hope they will let us know how it works.

It doesn't affect the BB, no. Since it kills algae, I suspect it helps prevent them, yes--if it doesn't, no lynching, please *lol* I wouldn't rely on it, but in conjunction with other algae reducing practices, it sounds like it does a pretty good job from what the folks in the articles say.

well i can't wait to see the results I'll use it the next time something comes up because i love the tea or myself so it's readily on hand.

Wow! I didnt know about the tea! We are probably going to try that! skiweeangel we will definetly up date yall as we go too! Im also gonna drink this stuff myself if it doesnt taste too bad :p
Reading that link I kinda laughed to myself when the guy said he used ro water to make tea lol
Thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom