Cloudiness in a new 10 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prgmitchell

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just bought a 10 gallon tank and set it up yesterday. I rinsed all the decor and gravel thoroughly..along with the heater.

I have a filter, heater, air pump with air stone, fake plant, rock, rock formation, and a small house in my tank.

My question is: why did it turn cloudy overnight...it looked great as I set it up yesterday.

There are NO living things in this tank currently.
I've used API stress coat and API quick start to my tank in the proper amount.

Any ideas why the cloudiness persists?

My guess would be that it's started cycling already, give it a few days and it will clear. Just make sure that the new bacteria have a steady supply of food so the cycle doesn't crash before you put fish in.

I just bought a 10 gallon tank and set it up yesterday. I rinsed all the decor and gravel thoroughly..along with the heater.

I have a filter, heater, air pump with air stone, fake plant, rock, rock formation, and a small house in my tank.

My question is: why did it turn cloudy overnight...it looked great as I set it up yesterday.

You just set it up yesterday? It could be that the gravel wasn't rinsed as thoroughly as it needed or it could be an algae bloom which seems odd on the 2nd day. Could be from the Quick Start, that is supposed to kick start the BB developing. My 10g got cloudy water about the 2nd week it was running, it took several water changes before it cleared up. Are you going to a fish LESS or fish IN cycle on the tank?

You just set it up yesterday? It could be that the gravel wasn't rinsed as thoroughly as it needed or it could be an algae bloom which seems odd on the 2nd day. Could be from the Quick Start, that is supposed to kick start the BB developing. My 10g got cloudy water about the 2nd week it was running, it took several water changes before it cleared up. Are you going to a fish LESS or fish IN cycle on the tank?

I'm planning on doing a fishless cycle...from what I've read.
And yeah I thought it might be the quick start because that starts the development of the bacteria...but I wasn't sure. From what I read I just need to set my tank at about 80 F, put ammonia in my tank and then constantly test the ammonia levels until it is converted into nitrite, then nitrate...then do a water change of 50-60%.

Not sure if I understand that correctly so hopefully I can get some insight.
But yeah hopefully the cloudiness is just from the quick start...I rinsed everything VERY thoroughly.

I'm planning on doing a fishless cycle...from what I've read.
And yeah I thought it might be the quick start because that starts the development of the bacteria...but I wasn't sure. From what I read I just need to set my tank at about 80 F, put ammonia in my tank and then constantly test the ammonia levels until it is converted into nitrite, then nitrate...then do a water change of 50-60%.

Not sure if I understand that correctly so hopefully I can get some insight.
But yeah hopefully the cloudiness is just from the quick start...I rinsed everything VERY thoroughly.

I haven't done the fish LESS cycle but it doesn't seem too complicated. Dose ammonia to 4ppm, test water regularly, when it drops to 1ppm dose back to 4ppm, keep doing that until the ammonia goes to zero within a 24hr period. I think it's recommended to have the temp about 85 while fish LESS cycling but someone will need to confirm that. Good luck with it.(y)

Happened to me Day #2 too!!!!! I used Spring Water per the LFS & I really think that contributed--probably high in phosphates. Plus left the T8 light on 4-5 hours admiring the new tank that 1st day. I "blacked out" the tank w/ beach towels a few days (to hopefully kill the algae) then started my fishless cycle. The water didn't look any better though. I did a few as-much-as-I-could-suck-out-water changes over the next few weeks & it cleared up.

Edit: check out my pics I have stored in my profile photo albums

I checked out the pics! looks like the same thing..I used tap water and then put the right amount of chemicals in to help but I'm not sure....will this stuff help with cloudiness in this situation or will it not have an effect?

Accu-Clear® - API

Looks to be the same thing/timeframe!

I have tap water and used a stress coat to take away chemicals in the tap.

Would using this help to clear it up?
Accu-Clear® - API

For cycling or for w/ your fish in the tank, less is more. I wouldn't try to change anything in the tank w/ chemicals. There are certain filters that are better at removing algae than others. I read a diatomic filter will work but someone on AA said that that type of algae isn't a diatom.

Sooooo... I'd say start your cycle & do a black out for a few days or not (I'm not sure if it helped me or not) up to you. If you plan to do a fish-in, IDK if a black out is ok for them & I'm not sure how long plants can handle a black out. I do know it [edit: as in "it," the algae bloom] doesn't hurt the fish AND plants help prevent algae by using up the nutrients algae like/need. Maybe do the black out, do a big water change & throw some plants in. Make sure your tank isn't getting TOO MUCH light from the room it's in like fluorescent ceiling lights, compact fluorescent lamps or natural light from windows. I haven't had an algae prob since that 2nd day & maybe it was just the spring water or maybe the ammonia keeps the algae down. Once I put fish in, I put plants in so IDK why it hasn't came back or exactly what caused it. Prevention is the best medicine so I'd take every precaution I felt comfy with. Good luck!!

prgmitchell said:

The cloudiness in your tank is very normal, its called a bacteria bloom or "new tank syndrome"
In a newly set-up aquarium, the heterotrophs get to work quicker than the autotrophs, causing the 'cycling bloom' your are seeing. Water changes will not clear the cloudiness as when you remove the free-floating heterotrophic bacteria, the others will reproduce more to compensate.
Just go ahead and start the cycling process, give it time and it will go away.

The cloudiness in your tank is very normal, its called a bacteria bloom or "new tank syndrome"
In a newly set-up aquarium, the heterotrophs get to work quicker than the autotrophs, causing the 'cycling bloom' your are seeing. Water changes will not clear the cloudiness as when you remove the free-floating heterotrophic bacteria, the others will reproduce more to compensate.

Okay thank you and I'm very new to this so what do I do exactly to cycle. I've tried to read but I'm still not 100% sure....should I just add ammonia and wait for it to drop down and keep doing that till it only takes a few hours for ammonia levels to drop or is there more to it when going fishless?

butterfly_koi said:

It causes Green Water, the bacterial bloom?? I thought just cloudy/milky. Algae causes the green.

http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/f...-difference-between-bacteria-bloom-algae.html

I don't have any money to buy a water testing kit right now..I'm 17 and don't start my job until next month. What should I do as far as making sure cycling is going good?

TangoTank said:
It causes Green Water, the bacterial bloom?? I thought just cloudy/milky. Algae causes the green.

http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/freshwater-beginners/72881-telling-difference-between-bacteria-bloom-algae.html

The OP never stated that it was "green water"
IMO it seems unlikely it is an algae bloom, since the tank was just set up a few days ago. Green algae is a combination of high nitrates, phosphates, etc. The algae will flourish off of the ammonia/ammonium and phosphate. Unless there is a high content of ammonia in the OP's tap water and there is more in the tank (fish, etc.) there isn't a source for the algae to feed.

prgmitchell said:
I don't have any money to buy a water testing kit right now..I'm 17 and don't start my job until next month. What should I do as far as making sure cycling is going good?

Take a sample of your water to your LFS every few days or so & they will test it for you, you're doing fish LESS right? Keep in mind if it's Petsmart or Petco they typically use strips. Ask them to write down or you write down exactly what the results are, don't just accept them telling you the "water is good". When ammonia drops to 1 dose it back up to 4, you want the tank to be able to process the ammonia down to zero in a 24hr period, 0 nitrites, <40 nitrates. It can take 4-6 weeks or more or less so be prepared.

butterfly_koi said:
The OP never stated that it was "green water"
IMO it seems unlikely it is an algae bloom, since the tank was just set up a few days ago. Green algae is a combination of high nitrates, phosphates, etc. The algae will flourish off of the ammonia/ammonium and phosphate. Unless there is a high content of ammonia in the OP's tap water and there is more in the tank (fish, etc.) there isn't a source for the algae to feed.

OP looked at my pics & said Yep! I had an algae bloom in a BRAND NEW tank Day #2. Very bizarre! Check out my pics in my profile pics album. And in mine, I hadn't put any ammonia in yet either. It got greener & greener VERY quickly. I'm thinkin since I'm in FL something got in the tank from the air (I do live on a lake) or it was the spring water which I researched & found out is known to be harvested from an area very close to a phosphate mine.

librarygirl said:
I doubt it's a bacteria bloom or algae on day 2 lol

Why would it being a bacterial bloom be out of the question? It has happened to my tanks after the first day of setting up. When you first set-up a tank, the fresh new water has lots of nutrients and trace elements in it. Bacteria will use the nutrients and trace elements to grow and multiply and thus, cloud the water. I think it can all depend on the water quality though.

Okay, so the cloudiness has cleared...not sure what it was. Now I have two questions.
My mom decided she'll get me a master test kit....so I'll have that soon.

My questions are:
Where can I get pure ammonia to put in there?
and
Once I get that ammonia, how much (in some measurement) do I put in my 10 gallon tank at first?

Back
Top Bottom