Cloudy acrylic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Soccerdude

Aquarium Advice Activist
I never pictured myself getting so sucked into this hobby when I bought my sea clear 46g on Craigslist. The foggy scratched acrylic never bothered me much before but now i've got some corals and I have really invested a lot into the tank...... Long story short, the fog and scratches are really getting to me now. Is there any way to remove these on my existing tank?.... I'm willing to do what ever it takes.

Acrylic can be polished and buffed, are the scratches on the inside or outside of the tank?

If they are light scratches and on the outside you might try "flame polishing" which is where you take an open flame preferably a torch and heat the surface of the acrylic. Look it up on YouTube, it can be risky, but can also be the easiest and fastest way to get scratches out.
I used to make car dash boards and that's how we got any scratches out, but leave the flame too long in one spot and the plastic will burn/bubble, to short it does nothing. Also a regular cigarette lighter doesn't really work, you need a little more power.

it can be wet sanded and buffed back to clear, ALOT of elbow grease. Depending on how deep the scratches are, maybe 800, then 1000, 1500, and 2000 grit, ( the finer the final grit is the better results will be.) then buffed with course compound, then milder compound, then a fine liquid compound. You will need a buffer. By this way this is the same process for anyone with hazy headlights.

Back
Top Bottom