Cloudy tank and weird test levels?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

milliemara

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I changed to a sand substrate today, I rinsed it well and put it in my tank after removing my fish and snails. I kept about 25% of the original water. Now my tank is a cloudy white/brown colour and I can't see in it. I tested it and the levels are:
Ammonia - 0.25ppm
Nitrite - 2.0ppm
Nitrate - 5.0ppm

Whats wrong with my tank, and how long will it take to fix it? Thanks :)

Sounds like you might have thrown it into a mini cycle. The cloudiness could be from the sand settling or a bacteria bloom. Just keep up with the water changes and your tank should get through it

The sand will be causing the cloudiness and well settle in a day or so. If it continues it could be a bacteria bloom. Harmless also. By removing the old substrate you've kicked up a lot of waste. That could cause instant spikes in ammonia and nitrite. Another reason could be a mini cycle. The substrate removed could have had a significant amount of bacteria that was removed. You'll need to do a water change ASAP to bring the levels down. Keep a close eye in them until everything levels out again.

Back
Top Bottom