Cloudy tank and yes it's cycled already

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rbell831

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have an aqueon 20 gallon hexagon tank with an aqueon quietflow 50 gallon filter. The tank has been set up since a week before Christmas, and I've had fish in it since New Years eve. I have one cory cat (I know they're not supposed to be alone, but I'm hesitant to add fish due to cloudy water) 4 platys, and 1 molly. I upgraded the filter from a 20 to a 50 around the first week of January, and I didn't keep the old media, so I know I basically kicked my tank back into a new cycle. I had trace amounts of ammonia and nitrite up until last Thursday, when it finally went back down to zero for both ammonia and nitrite. my pH is about 7.3. The water has been pretty cloudy for about a month, and I thought it would clear up once the ammonia and nitrite went down but it hasn't. A local pet store that specializes in aquariums told me to change the carbon filter, and that it'd be safe to do because the good bacteria is stored in that blue bio grid that comes with aqueon filters. She said this would clear up the cloudiness, but everything I've read online says to just rinse it. What can I do to clear up this tank because I would really like to add a couple new fish and have a good looking tank! Thanks.

Do you have nitrate readings? If you have nitrate, then you should cycled as you say. The cloudiness could be bacterial bloom, which usually resolves on its own. You can change the carbon without harming your bb, carbon loses effectiveness pretty rapidly over time and should be replaced if you feel you need it. I run my tanks without carbon unless I'm removing meds.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the response! Looks like my nitrate is barely 5. Is that bad? And also, the water has a greenish tint to it, and I have some old yellowish algae (I think?) on my white gravel. Is there a way to fix that? I keep the light on from 7am to about 8pm. Thanks for any help!

If it's greenish, that's green algae. You can try shortening the amount of time your tank lights are on. Honestly, 13 hrs is a lot. Try turning them off from 11am-4pm. Or just turn them on later and turn off earlier to equal 8 hrs. Even if you have plants, 8 hrs should be enough (is for my planted 55gal). Also, only 5 nitrate is good. You want to try to keep them as low as possible.

Another way to help with green water is to add a floating plant (such as guppy grass). It will absorb the nutrients in the water, as well as nitrates, to reduce the amount the algae can consume. I'd still recommend reducing the amount of time your lights are on though. Pick up a cheap timer if you need to.

Good luck!

+1 to what jessi said. Probably too long exposure to light.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom