Cloudy tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tootall

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
25 gal, 10 med sized cichlids, non-planted, power filter w/bio wheel, (rated for 50gal tank) 20-23 lbs of flag stone, auto feeder twice a day, setup for about a year.

I had not changed the water in about 3 weeks, but adding about 1.5 gal a week.

I had two fish die from septicemia. One fish just turned a nasty, stinky white ball overnight, the other was my largest yellow lab. The yellow lab had some red funk around his tail on one side, and the other side was loosing scales. I took him out, put him in a huge 2 gal pot that I have, and a small air stone, and left him over night. When he was removed he was not eating at all 3 days before, or moving around. He's was bully of the tank. He didn't make it over night.

I took out all of the flag stone, siphoned out a full 5 gal of fish funk, food, and waste. Added 6gal of new tap water. I did not put back any of the stone, or use any stress coat. Started treating the tank with Maracyn per directions, and the tank is now a white cloudy color. You can't see threw the tank at all, but the fish are still eating, and moving around as usual.

Any ideas on how to clear up the tank? Another water change, and some stress coat?

WaterPond said:
10 cichlids in a 25 gal, that is a little much IMO. . . !

I don't think that it's too many, but they're pretty pissed, I made tons of caves for them, and they have nothing right now.

WaterPond said:
. . the cloudyness is probably just a bacterial bloom, wait a few days, it should go away. Oh and WECOME TO AA!

Do I need another water change after the 5 days of treatment?

Thanks !

Welcome to AA!
Yes you will have to change the water after treatment. Changing water of 25-50% per week is recommended.

And yes 10 cichlids in a 25 gal is too much. As they mature they will become quite aggressive and you will have difficulty with that aggression.

Did you add dechlorinator when you changed the water? Regular water changes and monitoring the water parameters to keep ammonia, nitrite to 0ppm is the best preventative and treatment for your fish.

day 6

changed about 8gal of water last night, added some stress coat, water is still pretty cloudy, but getting a little better.

I'll try another change in a couple days.

Back
Top Bottom