Cloudy water after wc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
tyspot100 said:
Is the tank cycling? How long has it Been setup?

If it has been cycling for 2-3 weeks, the ammonia has now gone down and the nitrite is now rising. Ive also seen that if you have a nitrite reading, you are going to get a nitrate reading.

Cycling, and as far as I can tell from his posts, the tank has been set up for about three weeks.

Coleallensmom said:
Cycling, and as far as I can tell from his posts, the tank has been set up for about three weeks.

December 29th to be exact.

tyspot1000 said:
Is the tank cycling? How long has it Been setup?

If it has been cycling for 2-3 weeks, the ammonia has now gone down and the nitrite is now rising. Ive also seen that if you have a nitrite reading, you are going to get a nitrate reading.

As of today:

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 1.0ppm
Nitrate: 5.0ppm
pH: 7.6

I found a honest LFS the other day. They won't sell any fish to anybody that the tank is not cycled and the if the person has no knowledge on how to take care properly of the fishes. I heard them asking this person a bunch of questions and ended up not letting him buy anything. Not until he met the "requirements". But it's more than an hour from where I live. I didn't do a PWC yesterday because I was at work. I only work on weekends but that's 48 hours straight. I was off Saturday that's why I was able to do a PWC.

Anyway, the other day nitrite was .50ppm. That was after the PWC then today it's 1.0ppm after PWC. I am going to do a PWC everyday until my tank is cycled. :) :)

Then the lack of a pwc yesterday is why the nitrites are higher then you may have expected. It should be better after your next PWC.

Glad to hear about the LFS..they should all be that way!

Coleallensmom said:
Then the lack of a pwc yesterday is why the nitrites are higher then you may have expected. It should be better after your next PWC.

Glad to hear about the LFS..they should all be that way!

Missing a day of PWC when cycling is really bad. Can't imagine if I did what the petsmart guy told me to not do a PWC for 3 weeks...

I have never done a partial water change on any of my tank that were cycling and they done just fine, cycled all in 4 weeks.

Like I said before, you are experiencing the mid stage of the nitro cycle, were the ammonia goes down and the nitrite starts rising. Once the nitrite starts going down, the nitrate will go up. Just keep adding your ammonia source and you should be cycled soon!

tyspot1000 said:
I have never done a partial water change on any of my tank that were cycling and they done just fine, cycled all in 4 weeks.

Like I said before, you are experiencing the mid stage of the nitro cycle, were the ammonia goes down and the nitrite starts rising. Once the nitrite starts going down, the nitrate will go up. Just keep adding your ammonia source and you should be cycled soon!

Maybe its different when you're doing a fish-in cycle. Maybe that's why I need to do PWC. I wasn't informed that I can do a fish-less one...

Anyway, I am so excited to add more fish. I will wait. That's the right thing to do. :)

tyspot1000 said:

He is cycling with fish. Adding ammonia would not be good... ;)

Ohhh! sorry! I mis-read once again. This is the second time ive done this this week, Lol! :)

Well in that case, Keep up the PWCs. Like I said before, you are experiencing the mid stage of the nitro cycle, were the ammonia goes down and the nitrite starts rising. Once the nitrite starts going down, the nitrate will go up. The fish are acting as the ammonia source ;)

tyspot1000 said:
Ohhh! sorry! I mis-read once again. This is the second time ive done this this week, Lol! :)

Well in that case, Keep up the PWCs. ;)

Lol. I will. Thanks :)

hdultra said:
Hi Roy, Sorry I have'nt been on I broke my dang ankle.
Looks like there giving you great advise and following up with you.
Good Job man. When you get done post pics of your tank.

I'm sorry to hear that. You should take it easy and just rest. How did you break it?

Everybody's giving great advices and are very helpful!

Here's a pic of my tank w/o the canopy. Almost done. I just need to add 2 ludwigias and 2 anubias. :)

I slipped in the snow, and rolled my ankle, Broke the distal Fubula in 2 places.

Nice tank man. Suggestion you may want to drop one of your water pickups about 3 inchs from the bottom of the substrate.

hdultra said:
I slipped in the snow, and rolled my ankle, Broke the distal Fubula in 2 places.

Nice tank man. Suggestion you may want to drop one of your water pickups about 3 inchs from the bottom of the substrate.

Water pickups?

on your marineland filters you should have gotten extensions. That way you can run the bottom intake about 3" from the bottom and also have the midway intake as well.

hdultra said:
on your marineland filters you should have gotten extensions. That way you can run the bottom intake about 3" from the bottom and also have the midway intake as well.

My filter came with the tank. Do you know where you can buy one?

It should have come with a extra square tube with your filters. I see your midway intakes there. It was only suggestion tho. Having one close to the bottom would allow pick up of waste at the bottom. My instruction said 3" from the bottom of the substrate. It may not be a big deal thou. These other members will let us know 4 sure.

hdultra said:
It should have come with a extra square tube with your filters. I see your midway intakes there. It was only suggestion tho. Having one close to the bottom would allow pick up of waste at the bottom. My instruction said 3" from the bottom of the substrate. It may not be a big deal thou. These other members will let us know 4 sure.

I got everything used. It didn't come with the box. You are saying to have both filters only 3" from the substrate and open the midway intake? Thats a great idea. I didn't even know you can do that. I wondered before why the other filter is shorter. Maybe I can get some on eBay or marineland.com(?). Thanks.

I would just do one of them 3" from the substrate. And leave the other one were it is. Yes mine came with extra tubing and I had to cut it to fit.

Back
Top Bottom