Cloudy water cant shake it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
eco23 said:
Yeah, patience is definitely not my strong point, lol. I did this once before and I was a ball of stress pulling the cover off to see what was under. I'm glad tomorrow night isn't too far away...or I might have to wait for the orderlies in white coats to tell me what happened, haha.

Fish in my QT and the Betta have never gotten so much attention as they have in the last 3 days :)

That's exactly what went down here my qt has guppies to keep it cycled and then
My chi with my Betta getting lots of love and I got even more plants for my 80 gallon which are in my qt now stargrass, cabomba, more moss , ludwigia ect

Correct me if I'm wrong...do I see a hockey puck and a coffee mug in there? Hahaha! Canadians, gotta love em, eh? :)

eco23 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong...do I see a hockey puck and a coffee mug in there? Hahaha! Canadians, gotta love em, eh? :)

Hahaha yeah a puck two Stanley cup mugs and a jersey on the other side I call it my tacky hockey tank lol

Link not working but if this black out don't work my next step is uv well I am gonna use uv anyway I ordered the green killing machine

The moment of truth is almost here. I went out and bought a brush designed for cleaning dryer pipes, and I'm gonna give my canister hoses a thorough cleaning, then I'll try to remove any (hopefully) dead algae from the tank and give a good gravel vac and pwc. I'm a bit nervous to pull the cover off tbh, lol.

My cover comes off later but I am excited and nervous around 8 pm mine comes off 2 hrs from now and then the same thing pwc and a good vac

Let me know how it works out for you eco

ryan-peddle said:
Link not working but if this black out don't work my next step is uv well I am gonna use uv anyway I ordered the green killing machine

Google chemi pure.

Got it off...haven't gotten a full head count...but initially everyone seems alright. I'm leaving the room dark for a while to let them acclimate since they've been in pitch dark for the last few days. I probably won't even turn on the hood light until tomorrow.

Shockingly, the Rotala, Vals and Water Sprite look okay...the Ambulia (which I don't have because it's a prohibited plant) theoretically would look like trash. :)

Can't tell on the algae yet...gotta get some light in there to see what's going on with that.

Okay, results are...inconclusive. The water is definitely clearer (which I suppose proves it was related to algae even though it didn't appear green), DW definitely looks cleaner, walls are clean...but river rocks still have plenty of green on them.

The plants and all the fish survived :), and hopefully even though this wasn't a 100% cure...it will give my new lighting and fert dosing routine a shot for my plants to outcompete it from now on.

It definitely killed plenty of stuff off...the poly-fil was absolutely disgusting...almost black. I gave the canister a good cleaning (hoses were filthy!) and we'll see what happens in the next few days.

Waiting to see how it went for Ryan!

BOOM 98% better after a big pwc/vac it looks almost like the day I filled it super happy just 3 more days till my light comes in then I can throw out my actinic light will post pics when I get my mess cleaned up had a little overtopping issue :s lol

ryan-peddle said:
BOOM 98% better after a big pwc/vac it looks almost like the day I filled it super happy just 3 more days till my light comes in then I can throw out my actinic light will post pics when I get my mess cleaned up had a little overtopping issue :s lol

I'm glad it's better. Mine looks a ton better too after staring at it for a while. I guess I can't expect perfection, but it was shocking there was still green algae on some of the rocks.

I don't know about yours, but I had an unbelievable amount of condensation under the trash bags. If I ever need to do this again...remind me to take off my light. That thing was sopping wet and I'm shocked it still works honestly, lol.

Yes mine was soaked I had to clean the outside glass too and I had a ton of debris in my gravel when I vac'ed the water was brownish green yuck! I didn't get perfection but I will settle for 98% better plus I am getting a green killing machine from wifey for my bday so that should help any future break-outs

Glad to hear it :). I think the light and UV sterilizer will keep you in good shape. I'm one of those people who is never happy...so now I'm looking into co2 kits, lol

eco23 said:
Glad to hear it :). I think the light and UV sterilizer will keep you in good shape. I'm one of those people who is never happy...so now I'm looking into co2 kits, lol

I am doing a DIY with air line and a pop bottle and for a mixture I am using yeast sugar and Luke warm water and I am gonna blow it through an sir stone

I've been looking into DIY...and in a few articles (as well as accounts in the planted tanks section of AA), I've seen info that DIY isn't a good idea for larger tanks. Supposedly it causes fluctuating levels which can basically create an algae farm. I don't have room under the tank for a big cylinder...so I'd like to look into those types that use what looks like paintball cartridges. I've got some serious research to do...I literally know almost nothing about co2 other than I always wanted to avoid it, lol.

Yeah my too but I am loving the plant side so I wanna take that as far as I can lol but maybe skip the DIY but I do have paintball co2 cans I might just get some line and a regulator and see what I come up with...hmmmmmmmmm?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom