Cloudy water help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zgibbs

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello, does anyone know the best way to get rid of cloudy water? I just did a WC and the cloudiness went down, but I'm sure it will be back. Any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Is it white, like someone poured milk into the tank? Or composed of small bubbles? Or tinted green? Or brown? Or composed of a lot of small brownish particles?

It could be a number if things without details its hard to help. Water changes almost never hurt so keep those up.

It is more of a milky color. translucent.

Its a newly cycled tank that just finished cycling yesterday. I am planning on putting fish in it on Tuesday. Should I wait till the bloom is gone?

Bacterial blooms always come up when starting a new tank. Like fishperson said, they will go away by themselves but water changes will help it go away faster. It will not harm fish but I usually just wait till it goes away so that when I put the fish in I can see them.

Ok thanks

Ok thanks

If you stick some activated carbon in your filtration system somewhere, it would help with the cloudiness, otherwise you'll just have to wait a few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

:rolleyes:
You really don't want it to go away, you want them to settle and adhere to the surfaces in your tank. don't bother with a water change as it is counter-productive at this point.
Just leaving it alone for a few days is the best/wisest course of action.

:rolleyes:
You really don't want it to go away, you want them to settle and adhere to the surfaces in your tank. don't bother with a water change as it is counter-productive at this point.
Just leaving it alone for a few days is the best/wisest course of action.

Makes sense. Are you saying the BB that cause the bloom also make up the bio film on the side of the tank?

BINGO!
Considering it's a new set-up, let it settle. If it were an established, stocked tank, then you would need to try to remove it a bit for the sake of the fish as it can make respiration harder as it can muck up in their gills.

Back
Top Bottom