Cloudy water in a new planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

samahabou

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone first my name is Sam and I'm new to this forum and I would like to get some advice my new planted tank is cloudy it been up for 2 days and I'm using organic pot mix for substrate as I did some research and they said that it got phosphate so to make it short how can I get this water to clear up by the way this my first planted tank and it's only 5 gallons. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392514460.843646.jpg

Great looking tank Sam! Cloudy water usually clears up with time, good filtration which it looks like you have, and water changes. Adding some fast growing plants like water sprite and anacharis will help absorb some of the excess nutrients from the soil :)

Thanks yeah I have one 55 gallon chiclid aquarium but never done a planted tank before so I start small haha to test it out but thanks for the advice I will add some of the plants you mentioned.

I love my planted tanks, they are quite addicting:) what are the types of plants you already have in there?

I love my planted tanks, they are quite addicting:) what are the types of plants you already have in there?

Well I have AMAZON SWORD and BABY TEARS 'DWARF' I'm hoping and can get the carpet shape at the bottom of the aquarium

Well amazon swords get quite large, some reaching over 2 feet tall so you might need to relocate it to a larger tank in a couple months. Also they really benefit from root tabs, even in dirted tanks.
As for the baby tears.. It's known for being probably one of the most difficult aquarium plants. I've never been brave enough to try it. I'm not sure what type of lighting you have, but to get it to carpet you're going to need high lighting, pressurized CO2, and a dry fertilizer dosing regimen- most people on here do the PPS pro or EI method with the GLA estimative index dry ferts.

Hmmm good to know well u seem the right person for my advices hahaha well I have a 55 gallon tank but my chiclids will rip that plant off I think if I put it there but the light I have called white led planted aquarium light I believe it's 14w but not sure I need to double check but that light is way to bright for the size of the tank so I think i have good lighting

I'm not an expert on lighting, but if your lighting is strong, you're definitely going to need ferts and a carbon source or you'll have algae issues. Also it'd be a good idea to only run it 6 hours a day.

Well amazon swords get quite large, some reaching over 2 feet tall so you might need to relocate it to a larger tank in a couple months. Also they really benefit from root tabs, even in dirted tanks.
As for the baby tears.. It's known for being probably one of the most difficult aquarium plants. I've never been brave enough to try it. I'm not sure what type of lighting you have, but to get it to carpet you're going to need high lighting, pressurized CO2, and a dry fertilizer dosing regimen- most people on here do the PPS pro or EI method with the GLA estimative index dry ferts.

Wow didnt know about PPS or EI methods. Already planning my next purchase. Glad I read this.

I wish I had the guts doing a planted tank. Good luck and water should clear with time as stated already. I have some water sprite for sell pm if interested.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom