Cloudy water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crabby

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 14 gallon FW tank which I though had gone through the fishless cycle. I started by adding aqua safe to a full tank of tap water with gravel and live plants in it, then threw a raw shrimp in there and let it sit for a week.
The water was cloudy after 4 days then began to clear up.

After the first week, I gradually added 2 Senegal bichirs (1.5 inch) and 2 jack Dempsey (1 inch) babies in there. [I have plans a 55 gallon when they grow.]

They seem to be doing alrite and growing quickly. Water has been clear.
I feed them: frozen brine shrimp, raw beef, raw shrimp, and live ghost shrimp.

It's been 2 weeks since I added the fishes. I changed 10-20% of the water weekly. Lately, the water started to get a bit cloudy with some feather-like stuff clinging on to the glass.
Anyone knows what those are??
Would it clear up by itself?

Do I need a pelco?
Is it because of the uneaten food and poop from the fish at the bottom of the tank? Do I need to use a python for water change??

Thanks for reading! :D

During this entire process have you ever tested for Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate? If not what made you think that after a week your aquarium had finished cycling?

That diet is just a pollution central mess. If it does not all get eaten the water if cycked at all, is going to go south fast. Do you have plans to upgrade?

I would do some large water changes and test your water. Post your parameters here and we can give you some better advice. If you do not have a test kit, pick up the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals test kit and let us know your results. I wouldn't waste your money with the test strips, go for the liquid tests.

pPETS-3757070t400.jpg

i'll get this kit ($22.99) and post the results.

meanwhile during water change, should i pick up the dirt/debris w/ a python or just let it decay away?

When you test your water and if your Ammonia and/or NitrItes are .50ppm or higher, do a 50% water change. If your NitrAtes are 40ppm or higher, do a 50% water change. Check your water everyday and do water changes accordingly.

Suck out every last bit of crap, poop, gunk, waste, and uneaten food. Leaving this in your tank creates more ammonia.

Do you add a dechlorinator to your tap water before putting it in your tank? You need to test your tap water for ammonia and pH. A good dechlorinator is Seachem Prime. In an emergency you can dose 5x to help break down high nitrItes.

You also need to make sure that the temp of the water you add to your tank is the same as in the tank. The stick-on-the-side thermometers aren't reliable, neither are the ones on the heater. Get you a thermometer and use it to check the temp in your tank and your tap to get them to match.

i do add "Aqua safe" to the tap water, let it sit for an hour before pouring it into my tank.

Back
Top Bottom