Cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's a bacteria bloom. Is the tank cycled? How long has the tank been up? Water parameters? Is this the tank with the three oscars?

Get a white foam or plastic cup and put a little tank water in it... That'll let you know for sure if its green or white. If it's white, HUKIT has you covered... if it's green, thats a whole other situation.

yes it is the tank with the oscars. I just did a water change and it had a slight green look in the 5g bucket i use for water changes the bucket is white. the change was about 75%. as of yesterday i added a second filter to the tank an aqueon 20 and the primary filter is a aquaclear 50 i hope that helps as well i have a bigger aqueon 30 but wont fit due to the hood.

Have you checked the water parameters? Ammonia or nitrite present? Nitrate levels, this will help us determine if your tank hasn't finished the nitrogen cycle. If you dont have a test kit it's a great cheap investment for around $20.

Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Aquarian Freshwater Master Test Kit:Amazon:Kitchen & Dining

A very heavy bioload can cause the bacteria populations to grow out of control resulting in a bacteria bloom and if there isn't enough surface area for the bacteria, there will be a bacteria bloom in the tank and water coloumn causing cloudy water and poor water quality.

Cloudy water can be treated with weekly water changes. A good filter would help a lot depending on the tank size I would use a canister filter and an under gravel filter from extra filtration. Under gravel filters will help with ammonia incase you are concerned about the fish being sick. Overfeeding the fish Is a big part of cloudy water. Also if you have big fish they will get your water dirty easy so I would just do the two filters "canister + under gravel filter" and reduce the feeding a bit or just choose food that won't cloud as much.

Does it smell? If it does usually that is from over feeding. Keep up the water changes maybe slow down on the feeding and possibly look into more suitable filtration if your filters arnt capable for the bio load. Make sure to add active carbon that will help keep your water clear. Another note keep the same filter cartridges and rinse them every week in warm water. Only replace if becoming torn.

Back
Top Bottom