cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paulweck

Aquarium Advice FINatic
so its been 48 hours since ive put the sand in my new tank and my water is still cloudy. maybe i didnt rinse my sand enough i mean i rinsed it for 2 hours but im stumped. ive added some filter foam in the bubble trap right before my return pump.Alse added some aqueon water Clarifier. it seems like nothing works. i dont wanna put my rock in the tank still its clear. i have carbon in the tank and bio-zorb in media socks in the first chamber of my sump.

has anybody had to deal with this or have any ideas of what i can do?

paulweck said:
so its been 48 hours since ive put the sand in my new tank and my water is still cloudy. maybe i didnt rinse my sand enough i mean i rinsed it for 2 hours but im stumped. ive added some filter foam in the bubble trap right before my return pump.Alse added some aqueon water Clarifier. it seems like nothing works. i dont wanna put my rock in the tank still its clear. i have carbon in the tank and bio-zorb in media socks in the first chamber of my sump.

It takes a little while patience is the key I just set up a 180g put rocks and all and it took about a week

I had trouble with this too I was rinsing too much at once I had to do about 4 100% water changes to get mine clear and when I filled back up I put a bowl at the bottom of the tank so I didn't stir up anymore

thanks guys ill just try and wait it out and see how it goes. im wondering if i need to empty the tank and rinse the sand more and fill with new water. i hope not that alot of work and its like taking 10 steps in the wrong direction.

paulweck said:
thanks guys ill just try and wait it out and see how it goes. im wondering if i need to empty the tank and rinse the sand more and fill with new water. i hope not that alot of work and its like taking 10 steps in the wrong direction.

If that's an option and fish aren't waiting to go back in I would and just rinse small amounts at a time it will save you multiple water changes

fish are waiting to go back in but if they need to stay in the qt tank for another week i guess they will be fine

paulweck said:
fish are waiting to go back in but if they need to stay in the qt tank for another week i guess they will be fine

If there is a way to use a Micron sock or media that would help as well as long as u rinse it out every couple of days

Yea I'm using a mesh 200 micron filter sock already. The tank was really clear this morning when I woke up. So I added all the rock to the tank. Ofcourse it clouded up a little but its starting to settle

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110905_141509.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110905_141509.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 92
a cannister filter or HOb filter would be a help also. it's not uncommon to have this for a week. draining the tank and re-rinsing and you'll probably have the same issue.

mr_X said:
a cannister filter or HOb filter would be a help also. it's not uncommon to have this for a week. draining the tank and re-rinsing and you'll probably have the same issue.

Not if the sand wasn't rinsed enough there is a difference between dirty sand and sand floating in the water

paulweck said:

I use to have the same problem until I started using kids play sand and since then I've never had a problem rinse it for 10-15mins then drop it in and off to the bottom it settles

mr_X said:
i'd say it was rinsed enough.
whats floating in the water 2 days later is sand dust. sand, sand dust, or dirt all can be removed from the tank with filters.

You can rinse for 5 hours if your rinsing too much at once you will never get it clean and when disturb the sand bed if it instantly looks like muddy water it's not rinsed enough yes tge filter will remove it but I would find it annoying if everytime I move anything it clouds up again

ya its really starting to clear up. i have a hob filter in there for when i start my quick cycle all my liverock and filter media have all been kept alive in my other tank i also have filter media in my qt tank where my fish and inverts are. heres a few pics

img_1530803_0_b903f6f5b0dd5a63f0121258377fcaa8.jpg

img_1530803_1_6cd5cc7b87c1040e27a1cdfabb9f4b51.jpg

what do u guys think

paulweck said:
ya its really starting to clear up. i have a hob filter in there for when i start my quick cycle all my liverock and filter media have all been kept alive in my other tank i also have filter media in my qt tank where my fish and inverts are. heres a few pics

what do u guys think

I think I want it. LOL

paulweck said:
thanks guys. nelson isnt your tank a 45 tall to? your tank look sweet to.

Thanks. It is coming along nicely. One big problem though. It is a 45 not a 245. LOL

Back
Top Bottom