cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am not trying to get it to cycle, I have 35-40lbs of lr in another tank that I will transfer over with the fish and inverts. I am not transporting all 30 gallons of water, trying to set up this tank with freshly made water and the cloudiness has me too concerned to add fish, in case it's something completely crazy going on

I am not trying to get it to cycle, I have 35-40lbs of lr in another tank that I will transfer over with the fish and inverts. I am not transporting all 30 gallons of water, trying to set up this tank with freshly made water and the cloudiness has me too concerned to add fish, in case it's something completely crazy going on

Okay then you cant really say anything about the cycle. Just because you add LR doesnt mean it wont re-cycle. Its natural for it to get cloudy when it has to cycle and im sure you know that. Its gonna re-cycle whether you like it or not tbh

The cycle is created by a natural biological system , you need to add live rock and sand . It would take about 30 days . It is complete when you test shows 0 for nitrates and ammonia

OK just a day old. I did not see that but in the future it might cycle because of the stuff that is on the sides. It looks like something is on the side glass from when you had it as FW tank. It will break down and start the cycle. I probably would say after one day is your salt is not 100% mixed and that is the reason for the cloudiness. When I did mine many years ago it took 4 days for it to get clear.

It has been a sw tank for 2 yrs, I moved so I took my qt over to a friends house set it up, 30gal of freshly made water was clear within 2 hrs, I waited 2 days while it continued to mix. Brought lr, sand, and livestock over. Cleaned my dt, no soap, rinsed wiped down, rinsed 2xs and moved here. Set up the tank made water and it's cloudy.
There is no issue with cycling, I know that it may have a mini cycle because of disrupting everything, but I doubt that is the case here as it's likely too new to be a bloom from cycling.
I. Did open my 5th bucket of salt while filling this tank so maybe this will be a problem bucket but I truly hope that this is a random incident.

It has been a sw tank for 2 yrs, I moved so I took my qt over to a friends house set it up, 30gal of freshly made water was clear within 2 hrs, I waited 2 days while it continued to mix. Brought lr, sand, and livestock over. Cleaned my dt, no soap, rinsed wiped down, rinsed 2xs and moved here. Set up the tank made water and it's cloudy.
There is no issue with cycling, I know that it may have a mini cycle because of disrupting everything, but I doubt that is the case here as it's likely too new to be a bloom from cycling.
I. Did open my 5th bucket of salt while filling this tank so maybe this will be a problem bucket but I truly hope that this is a random incident.

It probably just needs to mix some more. I wouldnt worry until its like this for a week. Then you may have to redo it

When I tested my salinity last night it was only at 1.023 and I typically run 1.025, so I added another 1/3 cup and it was definitely clearing up by time i finished getting ready for bed and is crystal clear like it should be.
Sorry If I seemed short with anyone, stressful week with the move, and my main de-stresser was causing more...

It's because your mixing salt in the tank. It will clear up but might take some time. Like Mel said the salt is still mixing.

I have done it before setting up a qt,was never an issue it would be cloudy for a couple hrs max, pretty sure I did it 2 yrs ago when I originally set up the tank. That is why I was concerned but there is a first time for everything and I thank the community for coming to my aid, and basically reminding me about patience and this hobby...

Back
Top Bottom