Clown fish fight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know but so far the Eco system seams to be holding up well... Got my fingers crossed... I think it is holding up well cause my skimmer and uv light is for 75 and 100 gal tanks so lot of rapid filtration happening... It's all good so far

probably because the fis hare still small, when they get larger, eat mroe and produce more waste it might not, either way how are the clowns doing?

Well the clowns haven't really paired up yet but the fighting has stopped... So that's a good sign... I would love to get some live rock in my system but unfortunately in Sri Lanka there are no good aquariums the deal in live rock...

Sri Lanka, wow! Are there any universities near you? If so there may may be research or other work at the university regarding reefs or other marine ecology. You could contact them and they may have access to lr or a way you could make your own with limestone or other reef safe rock.

A university near me had a PHd candidate working on a project with African cichlids. He collected the fish in Malawi and breed them to show species evolution. He had over 300 59g breeder tanks plus rearing vats. He would give the aqaurium society members fish all the time.

Wow cichlids can be quite temperamental... Breeding them must be tough work... Yeah I actually checked at a university and even with a zoologists association... They all have it but Sri lankans who would help is this case is a rear find... It's tough trying a hobby in a country that doesn't have the technology to go with it...

Keep bothering them. Also do you know anyone near the sea that can help you make your own live rock. I made some a long time ago by placing coral rock and tufa rock in the sea for the summer. Neat stuff on it.

Oh super I didn't know that would work... How long u have to keep it for??? Didn't it pollute the tank when you tank it straight out the ocean and in to the aquarium?

No pollution, just had to quarentine it in large buckets with a power head. The rocks were hung off a pier for 3 months. The water had allot of tidal flow from the deep ocean

Ok let me check on this and see... Meanwhile after much sourcing a was able to fins a supplier of live rock near to me. Going to see him next week... Is there anything in particular I need to lookout for when buying live rock?

You need to find out the source of the LR.
Is it cured or fresh from the sea.
As you already have an established aquarium you should cure it yourself anyway. Get some tubs or buckets. Half fill them with SW mix and add the lr, a heater and a power head. Check the ammonia level daily for a spike.

We have an article on curing Live Rock that you should read.

Good luck.

Hey guys thanks a bunch the "curing live rock" article was great. Will post an update as soon as I go check out the live rock supplier.

Hey guys just at the live rock supplier... It is Fijian live rock and it is cured... What would be a good quantity for my 9 gal nano?

8 to 10 pounds. A pound per gallon is the rule of thumb. How far away from your home is that dealer?

1 - 2 pounds per gallon is recommended. If you have very porous Fijian rock it is very lightweight (compared to Gulf coast, or Florida rock). I would probably go with about 1½ pounds per gallon.

Take pictures at the dealer's place. I am really interested in seeing what the place looks like. Also pictures of your rock.

Back
Top Bottom