Clown loach in tank with sand bottom!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cheryldooley

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can I safely put clown loaches in a tank that has a sand bottom?? I wonder only cause I had a loach I believe a hill stream and it died when i put it back in the tank after changing from gravel to sand... So I immediately thought there was salt in the sand... We use pool filter sand. And help is appreciated! Don't wanna get them and have them die cause of salt!! Thank you

I use sand in most of my tanks, I've never had any salt in it or any problems with my sand. The only thing I could think of is if it wasn't cleaned out good and it threw off something in your tank.

Keep in mind clown loaches can get 2 feet long and need to be in groups!
I use pool filter sand and it works fine. It shouldn't have salt. It could have been a variety of factors that killed the hillstream, such as high nitrates released by switching out the gravel.

Clown loaches are on that list of fish so often sold to unsuspecting aquarists that will outgrow most anyone's tank.

How large is your aquarium? There are lots of loaches better suited to a variety of tank sizes.

Back
Top Bottom