Clown loach skinny disease

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tessa

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had 4 young clown loaches in my 6 foot community tank, they were all going well for a few months then they got white spot from a new fish that i didnt quarantine (i know). I treated them by raising the temp and using protozin and they all recovered. But now one of them has gotten really skinny, its like hes wasting away but hes still active and eating well. I looked it up and it sounds like skinny disease but Im in Australia and the info i found said to treat it with antibiotics and other medications that I cant find here. Is there anything else I could try? Or will vets here be able to give me antibiotics?
Thanks in advanced

So you are suspecting something along the lines of an internal infection?
I would advise a two pronged attack. Both an antibiotic and anti parasitic medication. Antibiotics are hard to come by (in my experience) in Australia. I ended up talking to a vet and getting some prescribed. I then made a gel food containing the right % of meds and used that instead of just dosing the water. Ingestion gets more meds into the fish.
There is a product called 'avitrol'. It's a bird wormer. It is safe to use on fish. Will not affect the filter, inverts or plants in any way. Make sure you get the tablets not the liquid. Dose 1 tablet per 10L of water. Crush into a fine powder and dissolve in a container of tank water. It will make the tank cloudy to begin with but it will clear. Gravel vac the tank 4-8 hours after dosing and don't top up the tank. After 3 days do a 50% water change on the remaining water and top off tank with fresh water.

Back
Top Bottom