Clown Plecostomus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrandyL44

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there,
We have two tanks in our home and have formerly had Bristlenose Plecos in our tanks. However, I decided to add Clown Plecos after our other B.Plecos died. The clowns seem to only inhabit one place in each tank. Each have decided that a place directly under the heater is where they want to be. Interesting that they both chose the same place despite being in separate tanks. I've had them for four days and they only seem to have changed spots twice. Is that normal? I do have driftwood in one tank but not the other as I didn't realize that's what they really like until reading a thread on here. However, I've never seen the one on it.

I've also read that it seems that they aren't very good algae eaters per se but that they like lettuce and blanched zucchini instead. That said, I have the plant Whisper Sprite planted and it looks terrible over just the past few days. Could it be that the pleco is eating those plants? Also, if I blanch zucchini then how much do I give them and how often?

Thank you for any light you all can shed on our new lil guys. :)

Hi, welcome to AA :)

I don't have a massive amount of experience with clown plecos however I can confirm that they are incredibly anti-social fish who aren't prone to moving much. The fact that they're hiding under the heater probably indicates that's the best hiding spot they've found so far and not a sign of any problems.

Personally I never noticed my clown pleco eating my plants (Or eating at all really) so I wouldn't jump to blame it...that said some blanched zucchini to distract them wouldn't go astray either.

Also get some driftwood for the other tank.

They need driftwood to hide if they stay on the heater they don't have enough hiding spots

Thank you for the welcome Cynic!

I appreciate you pointing out the driftwood. I do have a really nice piece that has an arc on the bottom but my last water change built the rock up and covered it. I will resettle it so that one of them has a good hiding spot. I will also get our second tank a piece so that our other lil guy will have a good spot and what he wants to be happy.

Do you know how often I should feed them zucchini? Is that something I should do in the evenings since they are supposedly more active then or will it matter much to them?

Thank you both again!

Thank you for the welcome Cynic!

I appreciate you pointing out the driftwood. I do have a really nice piece that has an arc on the bottom but my last water change built the rock up and covered it. I will resettle it so that one of them has a good hiding spot. I will also get our second tank a piece so that our other lil guy will have a good spot and what he wants to be happy.

Do you know how often I should feed them zucchini? Is that something I should do in the evenings since they are supposedly more active then or will it matter much to them?

Thank you both again!

My clown is a loner for sure. It has staked out a hollow root decor as 'mine'. When I first got mine, I'd see it about once every 2 weeks. I knew where it was hiding but I'd never see it. Lately though it's coming out more so that's good. Try feeding a piece of zucchini a few times a week and put it in when you turn the tank lights off. I never catch mine eating, but it's been in my tank for 8 months so it has to be eating something:)

hey there, i have a clown pleco along with 2 bn`s. and once he finds his spot only time he moves is when I put the zuchini in there. I use a rubber band around a rock to hold the zuchini down. i use about 2 or 3 slices every other day depending on size of the zuchini, right now they are small out here in maine. I cut about half inch slices I put it in around 4ish sometimes earlier if im bored and want to watch them, and they come right out to eat. it will be gone by morning. Once they know the feeding spot it seems they hang around that same spot alot more. I dont blanch it either, just room temp zuchini , rind and all.

My clown pretty much stays in his cave I made from driftwood. He does com out at night to munch on algae wafers. But he doesn't seem interested in the algae on the glass much.

You all are awesome! When we first got our tanks my boys and I did a lot of research on what we wanted to put in our tanks and this is my first purchase where I didn't do that. I'm glad that you all know what you are talking about w/ these guys because they probably would have starved! Ok, I will get on the zucchini and be sure to get driftwood for the tank that doesn't have it and rearrange the drift wood in my other tank.

Thank you for helping!

You all are awesome! When we first got our tanks my boys and I did a lot of research on what we wanted to put in our tanks and this is my first purchase where I didn't do that. I'm glad that you all know what you are talking about w/ these guys because they probably would have starved! Ok, I will get on the zucchini and be sure to get driftwood for the tank that doesn't have it and rearrange the drift wood in my other tank.

Thank you for helping!

Your welcome! That's why we are here.

Back
Top Bottom