Clown vs tiger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skiweeangel

Aquarium Advice Addict
What is the difference between a clown barb and a tiger.

Plus I should know better than to walk into my LFS with the idea that "I won't buy anything I'll just look.". Haha!

Tiger barbs are orange and black fish with a red hint on the fins, though the red is usually much more pronounced in males. They generally only get to be about 3 inches and have a horrible reputation for being fin nippers mostly because people make the mistake of keeping them in too small of a school. They do best in groups of at least 6.

I have never had clown barbs before, but I do know they get to be longer than the tiger barbs do. Google 'em! :)

Ok. I've had tigers in the past and know all about their nippiness, although if you keep a larger school of them they nip mostly unmong themselves. But I had never seen them before today and we just curious if anyone knew anything.

Tigers are beautiful fish but do not put them with any expensive fish they will kill them.

Thats not true. Like I said... Tiger Barbs get a bad rap mostly because people neglect to give them the type of environment that makes them comfortable enough not to bother other fish. A large school (6 or more) and plenty of plants towards the back of the tank to hide in and around... I had 6 in my 55 gallon for the longest time and they didnt bother my gourami or my rainbowfish at all.

Talvari said:
Thats not true. Like I said... Tiger Barbs get a bad rap mostly because people neglect to give them the type of environment that makes them comfortable enough not to bother other fish. A large school (6 or more) and plenty of plants towards the back of the tank to hide in and around... I had 6 in my 55 gallon for the longest time and they didnt bother my gourami or my rainbowfish at all.

I agree. I had a school of 6 and they were content with each other. I like them a lot and feel that they do get a bad rap because people don't know they NEED a school. They are tight schoolers though and I love to watch them. But I was intrigued by the clown barbs I found in the LFS. From what I gather they have recently been reclassified out of the barb category. I think I'll go with the tigers though. I do love them and plan on a total school of 8 this time.

Back
Top Bottom