Clownfish spawning questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zenn

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a few questions in regards to clownfish spawning:

1. Is there any behavioral signs that would indicate a female clown is pregnant or about to lay eggs (ie; not eating..etc)?

2. Does having a pair of clowns that exhibit all the signs of a mated pair(excpet actual egg laying) guarantee that they will eventually spawn and lay eggs?

The reason i ask is: my female clown is acting funny today. I've never seen her like this. She's somewhere between 9-12 months of age in my estimate and has been paired up with a smaller clown(assumingly a male) for the better part of 7 months now. Today she wouldnt' eat for the first time ever. Also, she seems to be more calm than normal and sits a lot in her BTA without doing her usual dance. It's probably just a bad day for her but I thought maybe this was a sign that she was about to lay eggs or something.

Whenever a fish expresses a change in behavior it is a good idea to test the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, temp. and SG, (calcium and alkalinity too for reef). This will either rule in or out a problem with water quality. If all tests out good, then you know to look further for a reason. If anything is out of balance, then the water should be tended to prior to any further action, if needed.

From what I've witnessed with clowns (at least tomato clowns) is that the female will be busy 'cleaning' a spot near the anemone to prepare it for eggs. She'd actually be more active around the anemone. The male generally patrols the outer borders during this. Once prepared, they will spawn and take care of the eggs.

Having a pair of clowns does not guarantee they will spawn.

Back
Top Bottom