Clowns and damsels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

r6mason

Aquarium Advice Activist
How many clowns and damsels would a I be able to get into a 36 gal tank?? Also will these fish be alright to live togather?

Thanks
Mason

Should be fine together. I would stick to one pair of clowns and 2-3 Damsels. Chromis would be nice, not very aggressive and like to school.

I was thinking of the 3 or 4 stripe damsel and the False Ocellaris Clown.

The striped damsels tend to be among the most aggressive. I have one ( a 4-stripe) and he really limits any new tank mates. They pick one everyone. Fortunately I have a large clarki clown that was given to me ( he is at east 7 years old). I call hom "the peacekeeper" . He keeps the damsel from picking on everyone.

i have two yellow yail damsels and two clowns in my 47 and they are doing fine.
Move some rocks around when you put the new guys in.

I plan on getting them all at the same time. I have not even set up the tank as of yet. just looking ahead.

okay. Thanks for the advice. Is there anything I could get for the clowns to hide from the damsels?? I thought that they were able to hide in like anemones. Any advise on how I should set up my tank with the decor??

TIA
Mason

You can always add rock with lots of bolt holes, but the Damsels become territorial regardless. If any fish comes within their territory, they chase it away. If an obnoxious, aggressive little dog could be a fish, it would be a Damsel. Quarry had a good idea about Chromis. They're beautiful fish and very peaceful.

...and they come in shiny green or blue ;) (most likely green, tho)

Your false clown will have three anemone's to choose from - the most likely being the bubble-tipped/BTA (the other two require heavy lighting, and the clown isn't as likely to host them -- at least in my experience).

so I do not have to have an anemone for the clowns. Do I just need something for them to hide?

Sorry for all the questions this will be my first saltwater tank.

r6mason said:
so I do not have to have an anemone for the clowns. Do I just need something for them to hide?

Sorry for all the questions this will be my first saltwater tank.

No problem on the questions, we've all been there!

As far as getting something for them to hide, I'm sure it couldnt hurt. If you add Live rock to your tank, aquascape it so that you have lots of caves and tunnels for them to hide.

Make sure that damsels are what you want. I decided I didn't want mine anymore months ago and I had to pull everything out of my tank to catch them. They're called DAMNsels for a reason :lol:

haha.

what else could I get away with that dont get too big for a 36 gal. I am setting up two of these tanks for each side of the couch. But my DAMNsel girlfriend like the damsels so I might put them in one tank and the clowns in another with something else.

does anyone know where to buy an anemone online for the future?? I have no LFS except walmart and petco :D

Back
Top Bottom