Clowns hosting in torch coral. Pics and questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Devilishturtles

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys! My clowns are anemone and coral hogs. I haven't had luck with anemones due to nitrate issues (always hovering above 20 and cannot get them below that, no matter what I try). However, when the anemones are introduced into my tank, it takes my clowns a matter of hours to find them and begin battering them to death. Anyways, through my recent addition of a torch coral a few months ago, which has been doing great, they have started to host that.

Now, I know this is normal behavior for the clowns. Recently however, my torch has begun to extend a few of it's polyps way out into the air. These polyps are skinnier and just look...weird. The rest are normal length for the torch.

So my questions are, how much abuse can the torch really withstand from the clowns? So far, about a month after they started hosting it, it still looks good minus the extended polyps occasionally. Second, are the extended polyps (hopefully you can see them in the picture) normal? It puffs up large at night, which I am assuming is completely normal? Finally, how does a torch split? I swear the thing has almost doubled in size since I've bought it. Do they really grow THAT fast?

Thanks alot for your time.

Attachments

• img_0925__small__135.jpg
    img_0925__small__135.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 131
  • img_0947__small__155.jpg
    img_0947__small__155.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 138
  • img_0927__small__122.jpg
    img_0927__small__122.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 165
they can grow quite fast in the right conditions. the long tentacles are sweepers or feeders. they will extend farther at night and will sting anything close to it so it would be a good idea to give it a lot of room,especially since it is growing so fast.

nice house for the clowns, im guessing they are a pair. beautiful.

The long sweeper tentacles are normal. Make sure there is plenty room around it. Not sure how long it will last with NO3 at 20ppm. I would fix the nitrate problem before you add any more corals.

Thanks for the replies. I thought the sweepers were longer and came out only at nighttime. This puts me more at ease. :) Does the fact that they are coming out during the day mean anything is wrong? I am not adding any supplements to the water, no phyto, etc. All of my other corals are thriving, as it the torch from what I can tell.

Oh, I have a good 5 inches or so around the coral. Is that enough space? I read their sweepers are about 4 inches or so.

Thanks guys.

Does the fact that they are coming out during the day mean anything is wrong?
Normal, It may "sense" something is near it.
Oh, I have a good 5 inches or so around the coral. Is that enough space?
Should be. Just keep a eye out for damage to things around it.

Clowns can damage some corals over time. It looks like the polyps are getting good extension and based on the pic I don't see the clowns hurting the coral. If the polyps start to close and wont open fully then something would need to be done.
They grow by sprouting new heads or having an existing head split. As far as doubling in size its possible it was not getting full polyp extension at the LFS and in your tank they are, making the coral look bigger.

Thanks for the responses. Where I got the coral, it was in a plastic pool filled with sand, with a Metal Halide lamp about 3 ft overhead. It could be that it's just getting more light and flow in my tank...never thought of that. Anyways, thanks much for the help all. I do appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom