CLR vs. Muriatic acid to remove hard water scale?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bradleyheathhays

Aquarium Advice Regular
Recently acquired a used tank with an unidentified white scale on the sides that I'm trying to remove. Turned the tank on it's front side and soaked the scale for a week with 100% vinegar and it still didn't scrub off. Was given advice to soak a small spot with either CLR or muriatic acid to determine if it was actually water scale, or if it was glass etching for which nothing can be done. Thankfully a small patch soaked with CLR for 2 hours has scrubbed away!...which means what I'm dealing with is probably just water scale.

So, my question is...which should I used to get the rest of this scale off...CLR or muriatic acid? I'm guessing the muriatic, because after rinsing, if the residue shows up in my filled tank water I can just adjust by using pH+ or -.

Thanks

The major component of muratic acid is HCl, and is extremely water soluble, meaning it can easily be cleaned off just by rinsing. CLR, on the other hand, I have no idea about. I probably wouldn't trust it.

Yeah, you probably don't want what's left by CLR in a fishtank. For ease of cleaning, go with the muriatic acid.

--Adeeb

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom