co2 and bubble counting - Hard water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nugget

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,
I've set up my pressurised co2 for my 200 litre tank, purchased my KH test kit and done the math for my bubble count using the formula: - volume of tank in litres x KH divided by 50 to give me the approximate number of bubbles per minute.

The KH works out at 15.
By using the above formula, that calculates at 60 bubbles per minute!!! Is that for real?!?!? :eek: :banghead:

I live in East Anglia which as some may know, the PH is off the scale!
(I use the API high range PH test which brings my PH out at approx. 7.8)

the co2 will drop your PH. get a drop checker from ebay , its the best way to measure co2 in a tank.

Aquarium Notes Glass Drop Checker for CO2 Monitor Tester | eBay

Hi thanks for reply, yes this is one of the reasons I wanted to use the co2. I have a fluval drop checker which is already showing green without any extra co2 added :blink: I was worried that if I added the 60 bubbles a minute this would lower the PH too fast causing the PH to drop drastically effecting the fish :confused: seems an excessive amount. I will start by adding very slowly I think.

I think 1 bps (60/minute) is low for ~52 gallon (200 litre) tank. I have mine going about 2 bps in a tank half your size. But then again, my lighting is on the low end of high light and I'm heavily planted.

Hi thanks for reply, yes this is one of the reasons I wanted to use the co2. I have a fluval drop checker which is already showing green without any extra co2 added :blink: I was worried that if I added the 60 bubbles a minute this would lower the PH too fast causing the PH to drop drastically effecting the fish :confused: seems an excessive amount. I will start by adding very slowly I think.

1) Use 4 dKH solution and the liquid low range pH test solution in your drop checker. A green solution in a non-injected tank always represents an error in something, likely either the wrong KH of the solution of bad drops.

2) Don't worry about lowering pH to fast. You can drop it 1-2 pH points in an hour and the fish don't care.

3) Starting at 1 bps (60 bpm) and working up from there is a good idea. Let the drop checker and plant growth/pearling guide you.

Back
Top Bottom