CO2 and Flourish Excel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just wondering if you have a high light setup, do you have to have CO2 injection, or can you just use Flourish Excel? Or is it just used in conjunction with CO2 injection? In the info on it, it says you can use either one or a combination of the two.

You can use either one or both. Unfortunately Excel isn't too economical in larger tanks which are often the ones being set up as high light tanks. It works really well in small tanks though, even by itself. You do need to be careful with it though, since some plants are sensitive to it.

I have great luck with excel in my 3wpg 35 gallon cube.. (I count only 30 gallons of water after the ecocomplete)..

I'll probably plug in the co2 soon since i did buy a pressurized system... I just haven't done that yet ... I have very soft water and it has made me hesitant.

the only reasons I am tempted to plug in the pressurized system at all is that I have aquired a few sensitive plants that may benefit, and I'd love to have a pearling tank too :)

Cool. I do have a CO2 system on the way, and just thought I'd throw the questions out there for conversation so others have an idea of what different setups people have, whether CO2 injection or Flourish Excel. :)

Even Seachem says growth with Excel does not compare to growth with CO2 injection. Excel's benefits as an algaecide and with keeping Fe available has me using it in solution with my trace mix, and I find the results noticeable if subtle. (I inject >40ppm DIY CO2 with high light.) I find both better than one. Excel is much better than no carbon source.
Q: Is Flourish Excel a replacement for CO2 in a planted aquarium?
A: Yes and no. It provides the same benefit as CO2, i.e. it provides the plants with a source of carbon for growth just as CO2 provides them with carbon. However CO2 by itself will give you quantitatively more growth than Excel by itself, although Excel does provide a substantial amount in comparison. If CO2 is a 10, Excel is a 6-7. Using both together provides additional benefit. One of the advantages of the Excel is no up front equipment costs and complexity of valves, hoses and regulators, etc.
http://seachem.org/support/FAQs/FlourishExcel_faq.html

I agree cz. If you all havent used CO2 yet, I'll bet you will be very surprised at the results when you do. You wont even be able to compare using CO2 to a standalone fert. anymore.

Back
Top Bottom