CO2 and Live plants??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john7110

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is CO2 really required for live plants if you have plenty of fish in the tank? If so, any good ideas to create CO2 other than an expensive tank system...Help!

I'm still kinda new to planted aquariums so hopefully I can help with what I've learned so far. All plants need a source of carbon which plants get from CO2, fish respirtation, and bio decomposing. Wether you need to add CO2 will probably depend on the kind of plants you have or want. Your fish alone probably won't be able to supply enough CO2 because nitrifying bacteria use it, and you lose it through aeration and surface agitation. I dont have expierience with DIY CO2 systems, but a good alternative would to use Seachem Flourish Excel along with Flourish Root Tabs. Flourish Excel is a source of organic carbon (not liquid CO2), and carbon is what plants get from CO2 for photosynthesis. To help keep the CO2 that your fish provide make sure your canister/HOB filters are regularly cleaned of organic buildup and I wouldnt use airstones/bubble wands or anything that would create too much surface agitation.

Back
Top Bottom