Co2 Do I really need to?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sjonesej0

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I have been looking around online at the various CO2 DIY projects and I'm not really inclined to go that route, but I did see a Fluval 20, that fits my tank size (6gal Fluval Edge). I have some sword grass (I think) and a moss ball. The livestock: fiddler crab, two tetras & a Molly on the brink of death.
I have a picture of what the tank looked like after I bought it & aquascaped. As well as a current pic. As you can see, the grass is much more brown now.

I want to get some really nice low moss for the ground and I want my leaves to stop being brown. If anyone has suggestions (including the idea of adding CO2, and plant type - I was thinking baby dwarf tears because of the aesthetic) they will be much welcomed!

I also thought about ordering everything online, but don't really know if I should "ball out" on supplies if there's an easier solution.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392851435.075179.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392851473.233366.jpg

This is the old picture of when I first set it up.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392851526.010184.jpg

The need for co2 is really dictated by the amount of light you have over your tanks.

What is your light fixture and what ferts are you using?

I have 2 Fluval 6g tanks and they have very low light. But I successfully grow Micro Chain Swords, Java Fern Wendilov, Bolbitus, Crypts, and Water Sprite. Using a liquid carbon daily such as Excel, Metricide 14, or API CO2 Booster will aid with plant growth in low light conditions. I use 1ml of liquid carbon for every 1 or 2 gallons of water. You also need to be using a fertilizer. Low or no ferts can be the reason for your Java Ferns turning brown. A product such as Seachem Flourish Comprehensive used 1 or 2x weekly will give the plants nutrients they need. I also suggest cutting off the browning leaves.

Last edited:
The need for co2 is really dictated by the amount of light you have over your tanks.

What is your light fixture and what ferts are you using?

Thank you for replying!
I have 23 LED lights and the ferts...the poop from my fish. I was unaware I needed to go beyond that.

I have 2 Fluval 6g tanks and they have very low light. But I successfully grow Micro Chain Swords, Java Fern Wendilov, Bolbitus, Crypts, and Water Sprite. Using a liquid carbon daily such as Excel, Metricide 14, or API CO2 Booster will aid with plant growth in low light conditions. I use 1ml of liquid carbon for every 1 or 2 gallons of water. You also need to be using a fertilizer. Low or no ferts can be the reason for your Java Ferns turning brown. A product such as Seachem Flourish Comprehensive used 1 or 2x weekly will give the plants nutrients they need. I also suggest cutting off the browning leaves.

Thanks a bunch! I should be able to get out this weekend.

That is a very long time for lights to be on. Try cutting them down an hour or more.

This is good to know. Excel recommends 1mL per 10 gallons every day or every other day, but you're saying 1mL for every 1 or 2 gallons? This doesn't cause issues for fish?

Sent from my mobile aquarium device

I've done a lot of research and experimenting with liquid carbon and can tell you one dosage size doesn't fit all. Many things such as light intensity, bio-load, amount of plants and such all factor in how much a planted tank needs. The higher the things I listed above the more liquid carbon is needed. If you read the Excel bottle it even states more may be needed in high production tanks. I've found in low light tanks more liquid carbon helps plants better utilize what light they do get. But as I said when you have shrimp in a tank you need to build the amount of liquid carbon used as it can affect some shrimp. Another thing is 1ml of liquid carbon is barely a drop, so 1 drop in 1 gallon of water is hardly anything. I've dosed liquid carbon, often at very high levels in higher production tanks, for many years without having any problems. One thing most people don't know about liquid carbons is your tank will actually cloud up for a day if more liquid carbon is added than the tank can handle. That is a sign of overdosing. I've actually tried overdosing and the tank will indeed cloud up but be clear by the next day since liquid carbon only stays in solution 12-24 hours. So my answer is yes liquid carbon can be used at a rate of 1ml to every 1 gallon of tank water but the amount needs to raised gradually over time and not started right off the bat.

Hey.
I couldn't get to the good store this past weekend but I stopped by one near my house tonight & bought Aqueon Plant Food ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393378601.110149.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393378643.479037.jpg

The web reviews are mixed. I hope it's at least decent.

And how long are your lights on?

I also stopped leaving the lights on all day while I'm away at work. Now they are on for about 4-5 hours tops outside of random natural light from it being daytime. The algae is nearly gone but is still on the zebra rocks in a few places.

What kind if set up do you have?

29 gallon dirted with play-sand cap. Low florescent lights (can't afford an upgrade:nono:) but gets lots of window light. Have a lot of java moss, some swords, guppy grass, baby java ferns, some baby vals (I think), and Christmas moss. I have dry root tabs, but they make me nervous. I am very new to planted aquariums and have only every had a sword (planted it in a glass bowel with regular potting soil and gravel cap. I loved it-and really had no idea what I was doing:D) in my 10 gallon. It grew huge and was beautiful. Made me want a planted tank.

community tank (tetras, danios, a bristle pleco)
Whisper 20-40 filter

My 6.6G is my favorite tank. It is hard to get used to the weird shape top and having to take out water before sticking your hand inside the tank, lol. But I love it.

Mine has the Halogen lights but due to a defect in the light holder, Hagan sent me a new light bar and it is the 23 light LED one, I need to hook up. Don't do as much daily weekly ferts. I use substrate ferts and they do a great job for me.

I like using the Aqueon and the Flourish, 1 every other time, because they have slightly different content and I think they actually work well together. When I just have one bottle, I think the Flourish is better.

Make sure to push the fert tabs/capsules down 3" or to the bottom to help prevent cloudiness.

My 6.6G is my favorite tank. It is hard to get used to the weird shape top and having to take out water before sticking your hand inside the tank, lol. But I love it.

Mine has the Halogen lights but due to a defect in the light holder, Hagan sent me a new light bar and it is the 23 light LED one, I need to hook up. Don't do as much daily weekly ferts. I use substrate ferts and they do a great job for me.

I like using the Aqueon and the Flourish, 1 every other time, because they have slightly different content and I think they actually work well together. When I just have one bottle, I think the Flourish is better.

Make sure to push the fert tabs/capsules down 3" or to the bottom to help prevent cloudiness.

I want to get a good carpet plant. I heard baby dwarf tears are beautiful but need CO2. I'm not that advanced...yet. I like the idea of a low lush rolling Kelly green carpet but I can't seem to figure out one that does not require the CO2 aspect. Any suggestions?

Also, yes! The shape makes me bonkers at times because I can't fit my arm in unless I remove water.

In other news, I've been thinking of re-aquascaping my tank. I have two tetra & a fiddler crab in there now but is that something people do? Just rearrange the tank bc they have learned more - despite it having animals in it. It's purely aesthetic but if it's not a big deal to the fish I totally want to change things (mainly plants).

I want to get a good carpet plant. I heard baby dwarf tears are beautiful but need CO2. I'm not that advanced...yet. I like the idea of a low lush rolling Kelly green carpet but I can't seem to figure out one that does not require the CO2 aspect. Any suggestions?

Also, yes! The shape makes me bonkers at times because I can't fit my arm in unless I remove water.

In other news, I've been thinking of re-aquascaping my tank. I have two tetra & a fiddler crab in there now but is that something people do? Just rearrange the tank bc they have learned more - despite it having animals in it. It's purely aesthetic but if it's not a big deal to the fish I totally want to change things (mainly plants).

That is what the 5G bucket is for, LOL!!! Just add your aquatic buddies in there and keep in a warm place change the tank, use part of the new water and add to the old water to acclimate them back in a little at a time. Your fiddler crab will possible try and escape. Also needs someplace to get out of the water and some salt in the tank. He might be best in a vivarium. They are really cool creatures!

Back
Top Bottom