CO2 in pills??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lol he is saying all those things are worthless... like the co2 pills. if u want co2 and dont want to do DIY then buy flourish excell. it is liquid carbon. but be careful since some plants dont like it.

Snake oil, Brooklyn Bridge, Prime Florida Real Estate

Er Jc, I don't think any has ever sold those in Spain. Excel should be available there though.

The CO2 pills do produce CO2 just like they say, but unless you have a constant supply of them so that your tank is always fizzing. Then the effect is too limited to help. Bottom line, if you need CO2 supplement you have to either do Yeast DIY CO2, Pressurized, or use Flourish Excel.

In the Wild West days of the USA, Snake oil was sold as "medicine", and people were made to believe it had many almost magical properties. So saying something is snake oil, is to say that it does not do what it claims to do.

Most of the CO2 pills or fizz tabs are one of two things, worthless or dangerous. Often they work by breaking the KH bond which can crash your pH if the KH is high or don't work if you have little KH in the tank. They are probably even less controllable than DIY CO2 and can end up with dangerously high CO2 levels. Basically "Just Say No" to these products and save yourself the waste of money and headache.

Zezmo said:
Er Jc, I don't think any has ever sold those in Spain.

I thought the terms were universal. :) Yeah, I didn't notice the region, good eye there.

The rest of the references (nice job on the snake oil):

The Brooklyn Bridge was constantly being "sold" as part of a scam during the late 1880's. The warning was to avoid anyone saying: "Could I interest you in a nice little bridge?" or something similar.

Florida land scams were (and probably still are) very popular during the years. People would claim to own deeds to large acreages of land that were not theirs or did not exist at all.

Or someone that offers to sell you Ocean Front Property in Arizona. ;)

As for the Fizz tabs, I have seen they are recommended for planted tanks with very few fish and nothing that is succeptable to plarge parameter changes. I would use them because of the possible effects on KH, I have a hard enough time keeping that steady as it is, we don't need something helping to throw it out of whack when we do a good enough job ourselves.

BTW, Arizona is about 400 miles from the Ocean. It would be like someone asking you to buy something and then trying to throw in the Eiffel tower to sweeten the deal.

Yeah, its true that I have never seen these products here in Spain. Actually I've never searched for CO2 pills but as I can see it's better if I don't. Anyway for the moment with a pH of 6.6 and a KH around 3, I think I'm ok, correct...? Actually appart of some brown algae appearing, my plants grow well I would say. Thanks guys!

Back
Top Bottom