CO2: KH/PH Chart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delapool

AA Member
Site Team
I came across this article where the CO2 concentration can be referenced if ph and kh is known. I was wondering if this can be used as a rough guide to CO2 level in a tank? I don't inject CO2 but was trying to understand this area a bit more.

CO2: KH/PH Chart

CO2 is very hard to mesure from PH/KH. most PH test are not 0.1 accure, and KH tests 2.

The best way to know your CO2 levels, is to buy a CO2 drop checker with a 4dKH solution and put some bromotymol blue in there.

In a 4dKH solution, the PH in the drop checker will change depending on CO2 in the tank, and will give you an accurante color.

Blue = poor CO2
Green = good CO2
yellow green = high CO2
yellow = too much
red = (You should see most of your live animals floating at this point)

I use it at home and it's very accurate. From my experience, invest in a 4dKH solution (eBay), making it at home with baking soda is not so good, the solution is dropping a bit in dKH overtime and KH test kit are not so much accurate.

It can give you a rough estimate. The calculations are made assuming that there are not other acids/bases in the water; essentially that it's just water, bicarb, and CO2 (and intermediates). That's a pretty optimistic equation, especially when you've got non-inert substrate, driftwood, high bioload, etc.... so you can run astray of the ideal circumstances pretty easily. Add this to the low accuracy of the tests involved and you've got a very rough estimate of CO2.

Back
Top Bottom