CO2 needed>?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tropicfishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I havea 29 gallon tank kit from walmart with flourescent lighting, I wanna do a cheap planted tank with some horn wort, a java fern and a plant I can't spell lol Do I actually need a CO2 injection setup for this size tank or will the airstone and bubble tube keep my fish happy at night when the lights go out and the plants relase gas? I rea;lly don't want to go with CO2 because its such a mess, any suggestions

iono what my wattage is lol its the walmart special 29 gallon kit with a flourescent hood lol 24 inch bulb, the kit is by aqua tech if that helps lol

The 29 aqua tech from Walmart is the same one I have. It comes with a regular t8 20 watt bulb. I switched my bulb to an Life-Glo 2 bulb and it help my plants greatly. But just yesterday I put a DIY 80 (4xt8x24) watt light/hood on my aquarium. I am hoping this will help even more.

Roach182 said:
The 29 aqua tech from Walmart is the same one I have. It comes with a regular t8 20 watt bulb.

If this is the case then You will not need any Co2 at all. I am not sure if even low light plants will grow well. You have less than 1wpg. You may get some plants that will survive but I doubt they will grow much. I would say try it and see what happens. If the plants die then at that point you could invest in a new light kit. Take a chance with a few plants at 3-4 dollars each. If it doesn't work you only lost 12-16 bucks. A new light kit will cost more than that.

I have the same 29 kit from WM and I bought a new NO fixture with a 30" twin tube set-up. It has two fluorescent Life-Glo 6700 K tubes in it taht are 20 W each for a total of 40 W. this gives me like 1.38 wpg. I'm growing quite a bit of plants with success, including plants that shouldn't really be doin well less than 2 wpg. I do not have CO2 on my tank either. I use Flourish Excel....carefully, so as not to melt my Anacharis. I order my light fixture at Drs. Foster & Smith online for like $35 bucks. You might try that. HTH

Macrosill said:
Roach182 said:
The 29 aqua tech from Walmart is the same one I have. It comes with a regular t8 20 watt bulb.

If this is the case then You will not need any Co2 at all. I am not sure if even low light plants will grow well. You have less than 1wpg. You may get some plants that will survive but I doubt they will grow much. I would say try it and see what happens. If the plants die then at that point you could invest in a new light kit. Take a chance with a few plants at 3-4 dollars each. If it doesn't work you only lost 12-16 bucks. A new light kit will cost more than that.

Surprisingly enough with only the 20w life-glo bulb I had several plants that did quite well. Most plants I tried didn't last long though.

To supplement member experiences here, theoretically an average 18w T8 bulb over a 29 is 4.56 lumens/sq in, and should grow at least anubias, most common crypts, anacharis, and java fern. Here are some comparable tanks based on lumens/sq in from Ozz's site, which you can then cross reference on AA: http://woo.gotdns.com/Aquarium/ShowDetail.php?Lv=1

(Using 18w/24" of T8 per a google search.)

You definitely don't need CO2. I also especially like crazyred's suggestion, which should put you solidly in "low light."

i grew a few different varieties of plants in my 20 when it was low light. it only had a single 15 watt light over 20 gallons and i grew differnt species of hygro quite well. flourish excell is also a good substitute for the co2. i would reccomend upgrading your light the same way roach did. u can buy a ballast for like 25 dollars then the end caps will be like 5 an build your own light. this will leave u completly open to any level of light that u want so u can upgrade without having to upgrade yuor lights in the future. HERE is a link on how to do this.it is incredible easy and well worth the money. i am not electrically inclined and it was soooo simple. wish i had done it earlier. u can run it with just 1, 2, 3 or all 4 bulbs if u want. just pick up a few cheap plants bulbs from home depot and away u go.

Back
Top Bottom