Co2 Reactor Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zer0signal

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I built my Reactor last night, how much bio-balls do you guys recommend be in it? Completely full, half full?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1436017402531.jpg
    1436017402531.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 96
  • 1436017440931.jpg
    1436017440931.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 102
Ok, so I filled the thing up with bio balls to the top.

I just installed it and its working great no leaks or anything, other than being pretty freaking big for my 36G Bow.

Question now, Its running, do I need to lower my BPS compared to what I was using with a ceramic diffuser. I was running at 2.8 BPS, I have it down around 2 BPS. I just don't want to wake up to dead fish in the AM.

Attachments

• 1436138715220.jpg
    1436138715220.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 1436138726056.jpg
    1436138726056.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 79
Looks good..if you drop a foot or so you'll reduce the amnt of head pressure the pump must overcome..

sit in silence...

Actually may offset itself because of the overall length of the reactor..may be able to combat this by adding an inline pump after the reactor if there a noticeable reduction of flow..

sit in silence...

Yeah it's taller than the bow front. It's just there temporary until I can figure out a better way to mount it. Also dropped the co2 to 1bps the rummy nose faces were clear no longer red, so I am taking it as too much. On the plus side everything is perling, don't know if it did it prior or not. But it is nice to see!

Also debating on if I am going to make a spray bar or just stick with this cheap duck bill looking outlet...

Cool,do you use a drop checker&do you notice any mist entering the tank?

sit in silence...

Yeah I have a drop checker (yellow green) but its only been running for a couple of hours and it was yellow green when I got in and checked it after vacation.

Nope no mist! No more 7up looking tank!!

Yeah I have a drop checker (yellow green) but its only been running for a couple of hours and it was yellow green when I got in and checked it after vacation.

Nope no mist! No more 7up looking tank!!

Sweet!

sit in silence...

Do you think a spray bar would be more efficient with the flow than the cheap duck face nozzle the 306 came with? I am trying to eliminate the circulation pump in the tank (currently not in there). Wanna get great distribution of co2 and nutrients.

Do you think a spray bar would be more efficient with the flow than the cheap duck face nozzle the 306 came with? I am trying to eliminate the circulation pump in the tank (currently not in there). Wanna get great distribution of co2 and nutrients.

I think a spray bar would definitely be beneficial & with it being a 36g bf the added flow from the powerhead would be equally beneficial as well.

sit in silence...

Thanks Tiger! looks like I'll be building one tomorrow and planting the HC on my last day of vacation!

Oh yeah, its why I'm in this hobby... To get away from work and build!

Well I found a flaw in my design that's going to force me to scrap this Reactor. It would work great for a day or two. But then co2 levels in the tank would not drop. I believe the co2 is getting trapped in the cavities in the top cap.

I think I'm just going to create a creges Reactor at this point.

Attachments

• 1436710096710.jpg
    1436710096710.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 66
If co2 doesn't fully offgas overnight its not a big deal at all. Just don't want it going sky high and gassing fish.

If it's working that well,increase surface agitation during lights out..I had $42 in the one I just built..
The clear view filter I bought to modify was $30 from Menards...the regular one was slightly cheaper but the idea of having a clear view out weighed the savings..Also there was a built in air bleed valve off on the top side of the housing..added bio-balls&cut to fit filter media around the intake tube to restrict microbubbles from passing through..

sit in silence...

Sorry I meant that the pH would climb after night like it should. But then it would never drop back down to 30ppm.. Tiger I just bought that exact one you have Dupont $29.

Back
Top Bottom