CO2 Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scarf

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,

I've bought and put together the components of my CO2 setup for my 20g. It consists of a Hagen 20 powerhead connected to a gravel vac with a sponge at the end. The CO2 is introduced via the "in venturi" feature of the powerhead. I'm thinking of running a 1.25L coke bottle initially, and after seeing how that goes, go on from there (expecting to upgrade to 2L or even 2x2L in the future from what I've heard/seen in previous posts).

For the recipe, I'm using Purrbox's recipe (thanks!) I found in his/her post in a previous topic. I'm using the 1L recipe, maybe adding a dash more of each considering I have the extra 250mL:

1 Liter Mixture
1/8 tsp Yeast
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
3/8 cup Sugar
3/4 Liter Water

I've just seen a few discussions concerning the type of yeast and sugar in previous posts. I'm planning to use this champange yeast:

http://daveshomebrew.com.au/index.p...51&category_id=26&option=com_phpshop&Itemid=1

For sugar, I'm just using regular white sugar. Or should I be using brown or cane sugar instead? If it's easily available from the supermarket, I've got no problems getting that instead.

My main concern is the yeast. If that's not a good yeast for me, is there another one you could suggest from that site:

http://daveshomebrew.com.au/index.p...71&category_id=26&option=com_phpshop&Itemid=1

Thanks

Well I've never tried champagne yeast, but if it works better than baker's yeast then by all means try it. Does it digest the sugar faster, producing more co2?

I don't think that the mixture will last very long iwth only 3/8 cup sugar. my 2liters get 1 cups sugar and run out ~3-4 weeks. I'd suggest getting a 2liter right away for the 20g tank!

I'd say bump u p to a half cup of plain white table sugar. We're not making brandy, so there's no need to get fancy with the sugar. Keep it as cheap as possible.

the only time champagne yeast does 'better' si when you use more sugar, as teh alcohol produced by the process won't kill champaigne yeast as quickly as bread yeast. However bread yeast has a very high alcohol attenuation (tolerance) and thus I've never bothered paying more for champaigne yeast.
I just buy a jar of bread yeast and keep it in the fridge.

For a 20gallon, you'll likely need at least 2liter's of CO2 generator. I liked to run 1gallon worth on mine.

OK, I've found a 2L bottle so I'm switching it to a 2L recipe. From your inputs (thanks), I've decided to opt for:

1/4 tsp Yeast
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 cup Sugar
1 1/2 Liter Water

Again, about that choice of yeast, I seem to have only found that option of either ordering champagne yeast, or dry bread yeast I found at the supermarket. In terms of price, I'm not overly fussed about it. Using 1/4 tsp of yeast, it would mean I can make 4 lots of CO2 with one pack, which equates to $0.75 per lot for yeast. If that can last for 3-4 weeks as workfortheman says, it's not going to dent my money purse. The money difference is not that much of a concern for me, but I am just a bit concerned about the effectiveness of the dry yeast I found at the supermarket.

If you had the choice, what would you go for?

Here's the thing: the bread yeast strain has been selected to make more co2 than ethanol, while the wine yeast strain has been selected to make more ethanol than co2. Although it can be argued that the wine yeast will live longer in ethanol (its waste product) and therefore will produce co2 longer, I believe you will have the same if not better results with bread yeast.

oh ok thanks for the info. It's just that I'm not too familiar with yeast, and I hear a lot of ppl putting bread yeast into the fridge, so I'm just thinking, perhaps every1 is using an alternative form of yeast thats perhaps keep in some sort of molten liquid form and sealed in a jar. All I've been able to find is that dry variety in a cardboard packet (sort of like the stuff I see with cake mixes, etc), so I'm just concerned whether or not this "type" of yeast form is as good as the ones other ppl are buying.

So I'm just asking, is this form of "dry yeast" that same as every1 else is buying? And if not, is it as or similiarly effective?

Also, that recipe mixture would be fine, shouldnt it? (a yes/no answer would be great :wink: )

I've used the dry packets of baker's yeast with fine results and your recipe is very much like what worked for me as well.

Back
Top Bottom