Co2 regulator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigQFan

Aquarium Advice Activist
I want to get into co2, but I am on a limited budget. I am talking to my b-in-law who works for a major beverage company and he says he can get me a regulator for a very small cost. Will these regulators work for aquarium needs or are they too big? Meaning can they be dialed down to a small enough bubble count or is it too much pressure?
Sorry if this is a dumb question, I am attempting to learn

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Depends on the design. Not too familiar with the beverage regular design so I am not sure if it has a fine adjustment knob for precise control. Also, a solenoid valve is a nice feature that allows one to start and stop the flow of CO2 by use of a timer or pH controller. Not sure if the bev reg has that.

A solenoid is something I could buy and add to the setup tho, correct? Along with a bubble counter?

0P – From your first post, what do you defined as a very small cost? And Aquatech premium regulator with solenoid will run about $89 on Amazon. It can be used on full size tanks and paintball tanks with and adapter.

Sounds like a gamble. What size tank do you have? The smaller the tank, the less forgiving it will be. As well, there are a lot of inexpensive co2 kits for tanks under 20 gallons and you can get regulators that have a needle valve and solenoids for not much more. I bought everything I needed for less than $150 on Amazon.

Those regulators are designed for much higher gas exchange, it'd be a start, you need to add a solenoid and needle valve.. personally I'd just go for the aquatek.. mine are great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah, I just looked things up and a post body kit seems like it would be just as expensive as buying a proper regulator anyway.
To the person that asked the cost...it would be free ;)
I have 2 tanks, one is a 29 tall the other a 20 long. I wonder if co2 is even worth it?

Yeah, I just looked things up and a post body kit seems like it would be just as expensive as buying a proper regulator anyway.
To the person that asked the cost...it would be free ;)
I have 2 tanks, one is a 29 tall the other a 20 long. I wonder if co2 is even worth it?

Free is good. But making it work will cost you as you mentioned.
Is CO2 is worth it depends on your lighting.

I have 3 10 watt spiral bulbs on the 20 long and an AquaticLife dual t5ho on the 29 tall. I still really don't know if that's medium or high light

In my opinion co2 is worth it if lush plant growth is your goal. There is no comparison on the amount of growth between low and high tech

Back
Top Bottom