CO2 system....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ahollland92690

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a newly planted 26gal bow front aquarium and i bought nutrafin's natural plant CO2 system that you can buy at most lfs...it says that i should start seeing bubbles in 2-10 hrs ( i know thats a massive window...lame) but i have been waiting for less than 10 hrs...no rush. but i would like to know if any one has any experience with this same system by nutrafin. (and maybe how i can get it to work a little faster lol)

according to the directions it says "stir slowly for a faster reaction..." ok well i stirred and nothing happend...i also kinda shaked it - more like swirling it gently...but then the directions say dont shake it or knock it over...woops...so for those of you that have experience with this same system did i just mess it up and should i start over, or will it be ok and eventually react at some point before the weekends over...?

No idea how long it takes. It's probably yeast and knowing how yeast works; the yeast mixture it came with probably expired.

the yeast mixture it came with probably expired.
this.....

also if you used too hot of water it can mess it up. room temp also effects it. i would go out and just get some fresh yeast.

I actually just bought this thing the other day and I figured out that you have to shake the crap out of it to start seeing results. When I gently stired it the first time not much happened. When I re-did it and shook it like crazy about 15 hours later I started getting bubbles, and today and i have a steady flow of bubbles going up the ladder.

I actually just bought this thing the other day and I figured out that you have to shake the crap out of it to start seeing results. When I gently stired it the first time not much happened. When I re-did it and shook it like crazy about 15 hours later I started getting bubbles, and today and i have a steady flow of bubbles going up the ladder.

like shaking it like ur mixing paint lol that hard? ok ill do that and see if anything works...also where can i find yeast to put in it n what does it look like?

No! Do not use the packets it comes with. They SUCK! Buy your own yeast and a Check Valve, or else you'll have your aquarium water sucked in to the cylinder and then all the solution will spit back into your aquarium. The whole system kinda sucks actually, but the packets it comes with only last a few days compared to just doing your own yeast/sugar mixture in the cylinder yourself. All in all I feel these systems are a waste of money, I bought two of these and all I saw was a lot of CO2 waste.

like shaking it like ur mixing paint lol that hard? ok ill do that and see if anything works...also where can i find yeast to put in it n what does it look like?

Reg baking yeast found in the baking section works just fine.

Ok so i shook it...we will see if that works...but i did look at the date on the little packets and it gives you the product number and then it gives you the number 2008....so is 2008 the valid till date??? i knew lfs were bad but i did not know that they would screw me over 2 days in a row (gave me a plant that was not even aquatic...and now non out of date mixing packets....)

Ill buy yest this weekend

any one want to post the mixing directions on what to mix in with the yeast - how much yeast?

Ok so i shook it...we will see if that works...but i did look at the date on the little packets and it gives you the product number and then it gives you the number 2008....so is 2008 the valid till date??? i knew lfs were bad but i did not know that they would screw me over 2 days in a row (gave me a plant that was not even aquatic...and now non out of date mixing packets....)

Ill buy yest this weekend

any one want to post the mixing directions on what to mix in with the yeast - how much yeast?

That same thing happened to me!!! I got some Mondo Grass only to find out that it does not belong in an aquarium!!! So instead I got some Anacharis plants and my fish LOVE them.

That same thing happened to me!!! I got some Mondo Grass only to find out that it does not belong in an aquarium!!! So instead I got some Anacharis plants and my fish LOVE them.

ya i took my "fake" plants back and got an anubis, some grass lol not sure of the name, and crpytocoryne (sp?)

I fill it up to the line where the sugar goes, then I sprinkle yeast over the sugar until I can't see the sugar. Not too much yeast though so be careful. Remember, get a check valve.

ya i took my "fake" plants back and got an anubis, some grass lol not sure of the name, and crpytocoryne (sp?)

LOL when I took mine back and explained why I was returning it they were like what? Oh I've never heard of that before? Of course not because why would they do their research?

I fill it up to the line where the sugar goes, then I sprinkle yeast over the sugar until I can't see the sugar. Not too much yeast though so be careful. Remember, get a check valve.

where can i get a check valve and if you could copy paste a web site of what one looks like so that i know what im looking for would be great, Thanks!

You can get one at any pet store, or even wal-mart. Here is a link to onehttp://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18285/si1378908/cl0/pennplaxcheckvalveairfilterplastic

You can get one at any pet store, or even wal-mart. Here is a link to onehttp://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18285/si1378908/cl0/pennplaxcheckvalveairfilterplastic

thanks soo much guys!

so this weekend if this thing does not work i guess i will be doing my own DIY CO2 system...waste of 17$

ya they like just went on sale bc i was watching it. i live in GA and is was 31$....so with the sudden price drop i was a little afraid to get it but my boyfriend talked me into it...

Yeah, I hope you have good results with your system though, I feel like the diffuser is a gigantic heap. But some swear it works fine.

The nutrafin diffuser is pretty good, I mean it's better than no diffuser or a needlewheel (which is what I have).

I put 2 cups of suger and 1/2 tsp of yeast in my CO2 mix.

Back
Top Bottom