CO2 tank/regulator ... how to get started

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jibboo

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK, guys, I'm sure there is likely a place to find this already, but I'm kinda at the place where I'm considering doing a CO2 tank since my DIY CO2 never puts out hardly any CO2 bubbles.

So, with that said, I have a 55g w/ 130w of CF lighting (10k). I basically don't understand the whole CO2 setup with a tank/regulator. Can you guys give me the basics and recommendations on size / bubble count etc?

thanks

I would get a 10 lb tank and in the beginning aim for a bubble count of 1 bubble per second. After running for a day or so (on timer or ph meter) measure and calculate your CO2 and then adjust your bubble count to increase it if need be. Chances are you'll want a couple bubbles per second in that size tank.

k ... can anyone recommend places to get a cylinder? I've seen weilding shops listed, and after searching on ebay, I see CO2 cylinders for paintball guns, weilding and homemade beer/keg things. Are all of these the same?

What about brands of regulators? I've seen the Milwaukee all-in-one do-hicky for $77 or something. Does anyone have any recommendations on brands? How long will these last?

http://www.aquariumplants.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=pr333&click=35

the ad at the bottom claims that theirs is better and comes with a 3 yr warranty ... you mean to tell me that these things are failing in less than 3 yrs from other manufacturers?

I would go with a Milwaukee - for the tank, welding supply stores will have them, check airgas.com to see if theres one of their stores near you, and sometimes hydroponics stores will have em

Back
Top Bottom