Cockatoo cichlids???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If they breed will that put my other fish in harms way? Also if they breed will my other fish eat there fry? Bc I really don't want any breeding!

The apiarist will breed. They will defend a small area and if the other fish get the fry they are lucky. Your other fish should be ok as long as they don't get to close to mom.

I have a 90 gallon,

4 Cacatuoides
2 agassizii
10 neon terra
3 dwarf puffers
6 bloodfin terra
4 rainbow threadfins
4 guppys

No deaths so far.

A fish store near supposedly has cockatoos but they look not very colorful. Almost like a brown Green with stripe. Are these females or what?

Thank you both for all of the great advise!!!! I have been so back and forth on what I want my stock to be its crazy!!!! But I think that this will be my final stock.

6 zebra danios
5 Cory's
6 furcata rainbows
2 boesmi rainbows
1 cockatoo cichlid

I'm probably not going to take the chance with my guppies!! They will mist likely be rehomed before I get the apisto.

The Furcatas would probably be ok....I had spotted blue eyes in a 40 gal and they are very active fish; a 30 gal may be pushing it but may be doable. I wouldn't do boesmani's in a 30 gal though.

A fish store near supposedly has cockatoos but they look not very colorful. Almost like a brown Green with stripe. Are these females or what?

What did the tails look like? That's probably the most reliable way to sex Apistos. Males have a variety of tail patterns (spade for Agassizzi, lyre for Gibbiceps and Cacatoides) while the females almost always have a standard rounded tail.

The apiarist will breed. They will defend a small area and if the other fish get the fry they are lucky. Your other fish should be ok as long as they don't get to close to mom.

I have a 90 gallon,

4 Cacatuoides
2 agassizii
10 neon terra
3 dwarf puffers
6 bloodfin terra
4 rainbow threadfins
4 guppys

No deaths so far.

If I get a pair of agazzizii's (1 male and 1 female) and they breed, should I get a breeding box? If I do, how exactly do they work?

The Furcatas would probably be ok....I had spotted blue eyes in a 40 gal and they are very active fish; a 30 gal may be pushing it but may be doable. I wouldn't do boesmani's in a 30 gal though.

Yea I think I'm going pass on the boesmani rainbows. I'm gonna probably get a honey gourami instead!

If I get a pair of agazzizii's (1 male and 1 female) and they breed, should I get a breeding box? If I do, how exactly do they work?

Contrary to what is said, just because you have one male and one female does not mean breeding is imminent. I had a male and female Apisto Gibbiceps and the male ended up harassing the female to death. My friend has a Macmasteri trio and they have laid eggs, but none have hatched.

Baby Cacatuoides.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130405_104803.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130405_104803.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 43
  • ForumRunner_20130405_104833.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130405_104833.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 38
  • ForumRunner_20130405_104905.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130405_104905.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 44
Female Cacatuoides are very drab and yellow. Like...very little colour.

ForumRunner_20130405_105304.jpg

Males

ForumRunner_20130405_105437.jpg
ForumRunner_20130405_105511.jpg

Male and female

ForumRunner_20130405_105542.jpg

Back
Top Bottom