coffee bean tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tarantula army

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got a school of six coffee bean tetras. They swim about, but mostly stay near the bottom of the tank.They are the only fish in the tank. Also, they won't come up to eat. Actually, they won't eat at all. I've only had them for a couple days, but I'm still worried. Am I doing something wrong? There is limited information about them on the internet.
pH is 6.5 nitrites and nitrates are 0.
Has anyone had experience with these fish? They were quite expensive and I don't want to lose them!

Might just need time to settle in the tank. I recently ordered green neon tetras that had no color once acclimated to the tank, they hid and didn't seem to eat...not they're the brightest fish in the tank!

My tank is cycled. I don't have anything that will read ammonia levels though... The tetras are swimming around now. Are they supposed to be mid level to bottom swimmers? That's exactly where they are swimming. Also, the tank is a ten gallon. Am I maxed out for fish capacity?

What plants do you have in the tank?

Nitrate 0 is very rare in a cycled tank, unless you have something that is sucking it all out.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

These are the plants I have in the tank:
3 Anubias nana
1 other Anubias
1 banana plant
1 half dead Amazon sword
1 baby Java fern

Honestly, get an API master test kit to test your ammonia. I don't see any of your plants being nitrate suckers. I have my bet on your tank not cycled.

As far as your stock did you have anything particular in mind? You could add shrimp and as far as fish I'd either add more of the tetras or some sort of centerpiece fish, like a sparkling gourami.

They are swimming around now, they just mostly stay in the back of the tank. They are active, they just stay towards the bottom now. They don't look like they are dying, I just thought they would swim up front and be more robust. They still won't eat though.

As far as your stock did you have anything particular in mind? You could add shrimp and as far as fish I'd either add more of the tetras or some sort of centerpiece fish, like a sparkling gourami.
I was going to add a female betta, but I didn't want to risk them getting eaten. Six of them cost me about fourty dollars! If I get a dwarf gourami, or a male female pair (can you tell genders?) would my tank be able to support that?

Honestly, get an API master test kit to test your ammonia. I don't see any of your plants being nitrate suckers. I have my bet on your tank not cycled.

I've kept other fish in the tank before the tetras. An oto cat that survived for a year and a half until my heater broke, and bettas mostly. I never got around to getting the oto cat a couple buddies, but he did live longer than I expected! Since my fish survived until my heater broke(a couple years), I'm pretty sure my tank is cycled. If it weren't cycled, I doubt the oto cat would have lived that long.

Back
Top Bottom